Accepted Solution

what is the difference between a reservation IP and an Unmanaged IP in IP Map?

Guru
10611     0

In the IP Map, what is the difference between a reservation IP designated with pink colour and an unmanaged IP designated in yellow color?

My understanding is that in both cases the IP address will not be under NIOS DHCP managerment.

Kindly

Wasfi

Re: what is the difference between a reservation IP and an Unmanaged IP in IP Map?

Expert
10612     0

Hello WBounni,

This is a common question I heard from my customers.

You must think about Unmanaged items in IPAM as items that are "unknown" to the DDI administrator.

I'll try to explain with a litte a use case:

Imagine you have configured a discovery in the network 192.168.0.0/24. This network already contains a DHCP range from 192.168.0.10 to 192.168.0.100 and one IP reservation in 192.168.0.5 (I'll talk a little bit about it in a few).

Now, imagine a user has connected a new device to this network and define to it a static IP address (192.168.0.200). Infoblox will highlight the IP address 192.168.0.200 as "unmanaged" if the discovery finds that there's something alive and responding in the network using this IP address. Infoblox uses unmanaged objects to warn you with a "Hey admin, here's someting you should check": That's the reason for the unmanaged object. You can use GUI tools to convert this unmanaged object to a reservation or take actions to remove the user's device from the network.

In the other hand, the IP Reservation is an IP MANAGED by Infoblox. For example, if you setup a IP Reservation (that pink item in IP Map) inside the same DHCP range from the DHCP range in the example above, Infoblox will not deliver that specific address to the DHCP clients, because you have made a... reservation.

So, unmanaged data is used to alert you when new devices pops out from nowhere and an IP Reservation is a managed object, defined by an administrator, that you can use to manage the IP Addresses alocations.

Hope this helps,
Paulo Costa.

Re: what is the difference between a reservation IP and an Unmanaged IP in IP Map?

Guru
10612     0

That is a perfect answer Paulo.

Kindly

Wasfi

10612     0
When doing the "Next available IP" option should unmanaged IP's be given out? One of my users just ran into this happening. Is there a way to disable handing out unmanaged IP's?

Expert
10612     0

Hello Andrew,

I made a test in my home lab (version 6.12.14) and Infoblox does not handle out unmanaged IP addresses when the option "Next Available IP" is used to create a host or IP reservation.

Maybe a bug?

Regards,

Paulo Costa

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You