Introducing SOC Insights for BloxOne Threat Defense: Boost your SOC efficiency with AI-driven insights to eliminate manual work and accelerate investigation and response times. Read the blog announcement here.

Freeware & Evaluations

WAPI to Start Discovery

Not applicable
7989     0

I have created a network in Infoblox using wapi but couldnt find wapi to start discovery option for this network. Can anyone help me on it.?

Which type of discovery?

Adviser
7990     0

Could you clarify exactly what type of discovery you're referring to? Is this discovery using the (optional) Network Insight appliance that looks at router and switch data, or discovery using the older method (built-in to NIOS) that uses ICMP, etc?

In WAPI 1.4 and later (NIOS 6.10 and later) there is a field enable_discovery in the network object; it can be set to True or False. I'm presuming that this is related to Network Insight discovery since NIOS 6.10 was the release that introduced support for Network Insight. I've not been able to confirm this since I don't have a Network Insight appliance in my lab.

Hi Frank,

Not applicable
7990     0

Hi Frank,

I was talking about discovery using the older method (built-in to NIOS).
When I tried to create a network with enable_discovery ,it gave an error saying "Memeber is not specified".
Can you give an example of WAPI to  create a network with enable_discovery ?

APIs for discovery

Adviser
7990     0

As I wrote previously, I believe that the RESTful API / WAPI operations related to discovery are for use with Network Insight appliances. Prior to NIOS 6.10 there was almost no WAPI functionality related to discovery; the only except was the discovered_data field in various objects, which apparently was used to retrieve data found via the NIOS built-in discovery. I can't find any reference prior to NIOS 6.10 to a way to start or schedule NIOS built-in discovery.

I did try the following command just to see what it would do. (I previously did a GET operation to retrieve the object reference for the network 192.168.1.0.24.) This produced the error "IB.Data.ConflictSmiley Very Happyiscovery member cannot be Grid Master". I believe (but again am not 100% sure) that this error is because the discovery member must be a Network Insight appliance.

curl --tlsv1 --insecure --user 'admin:infoblox ' -X PUT --data '{"use_enable_discovery": true, "enable_discovery": true, "discovery_member": "gm.example.com"}' -H 'Content-Type: application/json' 'https://gm.example.com/wapi/v2.1/network/ZG5zLm5ldHdvcmskMTkyLjE2OC4yMDEuMC8yNC8w:192.168.1.0/24/def...

However the older Perl API (PAPI) has for some time now (at least as far back as NIOS 6.3) had an object Infoblox::IPAM:Smiley Very HappyiscoveryTask that can be used to control NIOS built-in discovery. So I believe you can use the Perl API to start or stop NIOS built-in discovery for a given network.

Unfortunately I don't have time right now to test this use of the Perl API, or to test the WAPI API with Network Insight appliances. Also, I will be out of the office most of next week. If you want to follow up on this issue I suggest you contact Infoblox support and your assigned account team.

Re: APIs for discovery

[ Edited ]
Anonymous
Not applicable
7990     0

Hi,

For NIOS version 6.10 or above, is there any way to enable discovery ? this is without having Network Insight.

I would need this after I've added a new subnet and I'd like to added to the scheduled descovery (network scan).

I'm also interested in how can I initiate a discovery imediatly rather then wayting for the scheduler.

Re: APIs for discovery

7990     0

I'm looking for this as well.

7.x infoblox 

I want to run an on demand / now discovery of a network using the NIOS internal ICMP scan using either WAPI or Perl API.

if someone could point me in the right direction or supply an example it would be extremely helpful.

Thanks

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended for You