Introducing SOC Insights for BloxOne Threat Defense: Boost your SOC efficiency with AI-driven insights to eliminate manual work and accelerate investigation and response times. Read the blog announcement here.

Getting Started

VIP and LAN1 same IP

25616     0

Hey,

I'm currently testing Infoblox, my setup is composed of two vNios running on my VMware Workstation.

I set up a master on the first VM and i would like to link my second member as an HA member of my grid.

My problem is that i'm stuck at the step "Contacting the Grid Master at X.X.X.X ....."

I think my problem is coming from the fact that my LAN1 Node 1 and my VIP interface can't share the same IP.

The console is showing this error : "The virtual IP and LAN addresses x.x.x.x cannot be the same"

Anybody know where does it came from, or what mistake have i done ? 

Thank you for your time !

Re: VIP and LAN1 same IP

Adviser
25616     0

When you change the Member from Single Node to HA, the LAN1 address of the Single Node becomes the VIP address (to maintain the services on the same IP).

Hence, you need to come up with a new LAN1 IP for Node 1.

Be aware, all IPs (5x, Node1 LAN1 HA, Node2 LAN1 HA, VIP) need to be in the same subnet (switched environment).

When you split up the HA again, the VIP Address will become the LAN1 address of the active node at that time.

25616     0

Thank you for you answer, i get it.

All my IP's are in the same subnet but the fact is that i'm still stuck at the "trying to connect" step.

Adviser
25616     0

Assuming you have the right licenses ...

You have saved the HA config on your GM?! The Node will restart and the HA will be in error condition, as the second node is missing.

On Node2, run 'set network' and use the Node2 LAN1 address that you configured before in the WebUI.

For the GM IP, you use the VIP address of the HA. Grid Name is 'Infoblox' by default, Shared Secret is 'test' by default.

Have you connected HA and LAN1 Port on all two devices?

On physical switches, you need to have port mode 'access' (disable spanning tree).

If that does not help, post the CLI output of Node2 when it tries to connect and after the timeout do 'show network' and 'show status' and post here.

25617     0

Thank you for your time !

1) I am using "trial licences"

2) My 2nd node is shown in "error" in my GM

3) I don't have physical switch as my VM's are running on my laptop using VMware Workstation

4) I have reset my secondary VM and trying your solution using "set network" with the entire configuration but it's still not working.

Thank you.

Adviser
25617     0

Are both members connected to the same virtual networks on your VM Workstation? Can you ping Node2 LAN1 from Node1?

Again, after you did 'set network' (...) it wil try to connect and then time out.

It writes some messages to the console (where you typed 'set network') please post these.

In addition, after the timeout, logon to the Node2 again and do 'show status' and 'show network'.

Post the output here.

25617     0

Both member are on the same virtual network.
I can ping Node2 LAN1 from Node1

I just figured out that i was missing the vNios licenceon both VM, the number 8 in the set temp_licence.

I'm currently trying to link ...

vNIOS on VMware Workstation 14

Not applicable
25617     0

Hi Infoblox gurus out there

I installed vNIOS version 8.24 on my VMware Workstationn 14, Workstation's NAT is 192.168.88.0/24, the gateway is 192.168.88.2, on my physical laptop running Windows 10, the network is 192.168.0.0/24, the gateway is 192.168.0.1. 

The installation assigned 192.168.1.2 to LAN1, and GW as 192.168.1.1. I made the following changes but I still cannot ssh to the node:

1. I changed IP and GW to 192.168.88.101 and to 192.168.88.2

2. I changed LAN interface from Brdiged to NAT

3. I tried IP 192.168.0.101 and GW 192.168.0.1, and restored LAN interface back to Bridged.

I installed temp license by selecting number 2.

I like to know what blocked me from connecting to the node?

Thanks in advance

Tony 

Re: vNIOS on VMware Workstation 14

[ Edited ]
25617     0

Tony, did you fixed your problem? I need help. Answer here or send pm please. Thank you

Not applicable
25617     0

Hi Edith, 

So far my problems are not resolved yet. So I do need help Smiley Happy

25617     0

I assume that the GUI (https) is working correctly?

Have you enabled remote access console (which is SSH) under the grid properties? I think it is disabled by default.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended for You