Introducing SOC Insights for BloxOne Threat Defense: Boost your SOC efficiency with AI-driven insights to eliminate manual work and accelerate investigation and response times. Read the blog announcement here.

NIOS DNS DHCP IPAM

CNAME record for a auth domain

Authority
10180     0

Here is the scenario,

I have a public domain "domain.com". I need to point this c125.example.com.

Note: I am not the owner for example.com.

Will I be able to create an alias domain.com without any prefix which point to c125.example.com for DNS resolution.

Note: With prefix, it works.

Regards,

Gokul

Re: CNAME record for a auth domain

Expert
10181     0

You won't be able to do it with a CNAME because that breaks the "CNAME has other data" rule.

But you could try using a DNAME. Create domain.com and add a DNAME record with an empty host name, point it at c125.example.com. See if that works.

Paul Roberts
PCN (UK) Ltd

All opinions expressed are my own and not representative of PCN Inc./PCN (UK) Ltd. E&OE

Authority
10181     0

Worked like a charm.

Thank you Paul. Also, I've been following your threads. You provided great answers.

Expert
10181     0

Thank you, just spreading the love! Smiley LOL

Paul Roberts
PCN (UK) Ltd

All opinions expressed are my own and not representative of PCN Inc./PCN (UK) Ltd. E&OE

Authority
10181     0

Out of curiosity, are you trying to do this just for the apex entry for the zone, or for the zone as a whole?  The DNAME remaps for the entire tree instead of just that individual record.

If you are trying to set the behavior for just the apex record of domain.com, are running NIOS 8.3 or higher, and are pointing to a record that returns an A response (meaning c125.example.com returns an IP address, not a name), you could consider using an ALIAS record.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended for You