Introducing SOC Insights for BloxOne Threat Defense: Boost your SOC efficiency with AI-driven insights to eliminate manual work and accelerate investigation and response times. Read the blog announcement here.

NIOS DNS DHCP IPAM

Infoblox DNS, DDNS and DHCP, IPAM

Authority
7136     0

Hello Members,

I have done some searching, including the NIOS admin manual and find the topic difficult to understand.

We have NIOS 8.2.

I want to use our infoblox server.appliance as a DNS server. Is there a way to configure DDNS without having DHCP? our devices have static ip addresses. Is it possible for a client (eventually a PDC) to register

automatically to the Infoblox DDI?

We do not have the Microsoft Managment license, and do not want to activate the temp license.  Identity mapping is not what we want.

We can add a client manually, but I would like to automate process via ddns. Is there a supported way to do this without a special license?

Thanks So Much,

eholz - infoblox newbie

Re: Infoblox DNS, DDNS and DHCP, IPAM

7136     0

Hello there,

Yes you can enable your Infoblox DNS Server to accept DDNS Updates from the Clients directly.

You can allow your Client's IP / Network or allow a TSIG / GSS-TSIG Key with which the Clients can update the DNS Server.

Please refer to "Enabling DNS Servers to Accept DDNS Updates" section of the NIOS Administrator Guide for reference.

You would have to configure your PDC to register the DNS by sending the update to the Infoblox DNS Server.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Authority
7136     0

Hello braj,

Thanks for the reply. I will check the manual as you indicate. I will configure it, and get

back to the forum with results.

Thanks,

eholz1

Authority
7136     0

Hello braj,

One more question.

Do I need to be using DHCP to enable DDNS?

Our machines are using STATIC IP addresses.

We do not use DHCP in our environment.

Thanks,

Eholz1

7136     0

Hello,

The DDNS Configuration in the DHCP tab that you see only comes into play if you want the DHCP Server to update the DNS records on behalf of the Client.

If the Clients themselves are going to update the DNS, then you do not need DHCP or DDNS to be configured on Infoblox.

Only requirement is that the Client needs to be allowed to update the Zone in question, the configuration of which can be seen in the Administrator Guide section mentioned previously.

Regards

Authority
7137     0

Thanks for the info - got is working, I think

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended for You