Automated Services Restart

Techie
4826     2

I have a scenario where a group makes changes but they don't have access to restart services, is there a way I can setup infoblox to restart services periodically once a day to insure changes are made from people from these groups?

Re: Automated Services Restart

Adviser
4826     2

@josefius wrote:

I have a scenario where a group makes changes but they don't have access to restart services, is there a way I can setup infoblox to restart services periodically once a day to insure changes are made from people from these groups?

I don't believe there is a built-in NIOS feature that will do exactly this. I think you have at least two options:

1. Create an external script/program that uses the WAPI to force a service restart. You can then run the script at a specified time each day using the cron function if you're running the script on a Unix/Linux system or using whatever the equivalent function is for Windows if you're running the script on a Windows system. 

For information on how to force restarts using the WAPI see:

https://community.infoblox.com/t5/DNS-DHCP-IPAM/Use-API-to-restart-a-member-service-or-empty-DNS-cac...

https://community.infoblox.com/t5/API-Integration/Powershell-WAPI-Restart-Services/m-p/8244#U8244

2. There is a CLI command "set schedule" that I believe will let you schedule service restarts on a periodic basis. However a) you can't schedule restarts any less frequently than once per hour (so you can't do it only once per day), b) you have to set this individually for each member, and c) there's some sort of interaction with the task scheduling feature that I haven't looked into, so am not sure how exactly this works.

Expert
4826     2
This topic needs to be moved to the DDI forum.

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
Community Manager
4826     2

I ran across this thread while looking for API examples for another topic and wanted to add that there is the ability to add a recurring schedule using restart groups. To set this up:

1. Navigate to Grid -> Grid Manager and click on the button for the service that you want to setup the recurring restart schedule for.
  2. Click on the Toggle Restart Groups View link.
  3. If you want to set the schedule for all servers in your Grid, you can edit the Default DNS group, or create new/additional restart groups.
  4. When editing or creating new restart groups, under the Schedule tab/screen, check the Enable Restart Schedule box.
  5. Set the schedule as desired (One, Hourly, Daily, Weekly, Monthly). Multiple restart groups with the same Grid members can be created if additional restarts are needed (such as more than one per hour).
  6. In most cases, you will want the Restart Services option set to If Needed so that services are only restarted as needed.

Hope this helps!

-Tony

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended for You