Device Grouping assistance / best practices

NOperations
Techie
1985     0

I am looking for the best way to organise devices on NetMRi using Device Grouping.  Our standard ensure that the snmp-server location (SNMP Object sysLocation) uses the format:  "Site / Floor"

When I create Device Groups I label them like this:
Name (of Device Group) = Bracknell Routers 3rd Floor

Membership Criteria:
$sysLocation like /["Bracknell"] and ["3rd"] and ["Floor"]*./ and $Type like /.*Router.*/

Once the group has been created I click the "Generate Groups" button. At which point I hope to have only the device of type "Router" containing the snmp-server location of "Bracknell 3rd Floor"

This is not working very well and I suspect it may have something to do with the regex in the Membership Criteria.

If anyone could assist me I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance,
Daren

Re: Device Grouping

Adviser
1986     0

$sysLocation like /Bracknell 3rd/ and $Type in ["Router"]

That will create a group for Bracknell 3rd Floow

Now for Bracknell 2nd floor use the following:

$sysLocation like /Bracknell 2nd/ and $Type in ["Router"]

Now for Bracknell 2nd floor with Routers and Switches use the following:

$sysLocation like /Bracknell 2nd/ and $Type in ["Router","Switch-Router","Switch"]

Also click the blue question mark and it will give you move ideas on creating groups.

Sif

Follow me on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/sifbaksh
Twitter: https://twitter.com/sifbaksh

NOperations
Techie
1986     0

Thank you for the help- but I tried this regex for device grouping and it still did not work:

$sysLocation like /Bracknell 4th/ and $Type in ["Switch"]

And for information, the interface description is set as follows on the Cisco device:

snmp-server location Bracknell - 4th Floor

However NetMRI has yet to place it and others on that floor in the group.

I tried amending the script to this:

$sysLocation like /Bracknell 4th/ and $sysLocation like / 4th/ and $Type in ["Switch"]

But still no luck - nothing appears in the device group.

is this a bug or is the expression wrong I wonder?

Expert
1986     0

Unless I'm missing something obvious, your pattern doesn't match the config statement.

"Bracknell - 4th"  <>  "Bracknell 4th"

NOperations
Techie
1986     0

Thanks Marty,

I understood (but of course can be corrected) that the "like" looks for pattern matches but is not an exact match, so  "snmp-server location Bracknell - 5th Floor" and also "snmp-server location Bracknell 5th Floor" - neither of these work.

I am stumped really because a Device grouping for switches on the 3rd floor worked the first time.

I tried Sif Baksh 's recommendation but again - nothing was placed into any groups.

I am running a very old version of software and so I am wondering if this has any bearing on it

NOperations
Techie
1986     0

Okay this problem seems to be resolved.  As soon as I upgraded the software to 6.3.1.42 the device grouping using the same syntax started to work as expected.  Thanks to everyone who helped.

Re: Device Grouping assistance / best practices

techiecook
Techie
1986     0

Hello, Could someone please help me here. I want to create a device group where config credential status and snmp credential status  for a device are "Ok"

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You