Device names revert to non-qualified

Techie
2921     0

Hi, I'm a newbie to NetMRI so pardon my ignorance.  I'm using version 7.1.2 and some devices ("Device Name") are listed as non-qualified.  Most systems appear with their FQDN as their device names (desired).  When I change a device name manually to its FQDN, after several minutes it reverts back to short name.

Any idea what may cause this and how I can change it?  Thank you.

Re: Device names revert to non-qualified

Authority
2921     0

NetMRI will automatically truncate the sysName of devices whose FQDN is inside one of the Search Domains that were configured on NetMRI.

E.g., if NetMRI has a SCAN interface configured with a search domain of "yourcompany.com", and then discovers devices whose FQDNs are router1.yourcompany.com, router2.finance.yourcompany.com, and router3.otherdomain.com, then those devices would be shown as router1, router2.finance, and router3.otherdomain.com, respectively.

Is that what you are seeing?

Techie
2921     0

Yes that's what I'm seeing.  If I remove the domain from my search list, will the device names automatically update within NetMRI?  If not, what's the process to correct?

Authority
2921     0

Yes, if you delete the "search domain" names from Settings --> Setup --> Scan Interfaces, the device names should automatically be updated to the non-truncated FQDN.

Note that it will *not* be an instantaneous change, but something that will happen gradually as each device goes through its normally scheduled polling and analysis.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended for You