Highlighted

Discovery via snmp 2c vs 1

PMusolino
Techie
2429     0

Hi,

I have been using the NetMRI device for about a month and it is great.  Support has been quick to provide patches to issues that come up and overall I am happy with the product.

My only complaint is that device discovery seems to try snmp version 1 for all queries to devices.  Most devices support v1 and v2c so its not a problem, but for Palo Alto devices, version 1 is not an option.  Any discovery attempts fail unless you go in to device discovery, manually choose to enter your community string and save it.  Even then, when you run a discover now or a test, it will fail.   snmpwalks from the device work fine specifying version 2c, its just the device discovery that fails.  

I would like to suggest or request that device discovery rolls over to v2c if v1 fails, or perhaps tries v2c first before going to v1.  Or a radio button to choose which version manually would be great as well. 

Thanks in advance,

Peter

Re: Discovery via snmp 2c vs

Adviser
2430     0

We ran into this issue too back in 2011. Here is the reply we got from support :

Often vendors implement their snmp such that the System OID (MIB II - rfc1213) is implemented with snmpv1, for universal compatibility, and the Enterprise extensions are often implemented with snmpv2c, which is where the bulk of the rest of the data is. NetMRI needs the SystemOID first, before it can do any other processing, hence need SNMPv1 access as well.

There should be a RFE open for this, but I don't have its number.

Hope its helps.

dsaliva
Techie
2430     0

It is now 2016 and this is still an issue. For the expensive price tag we pay for NetMRI and other infoblox products, you would think this would be fixed/implemented by now.

Adviser
2430     0

There is an advanced setting "SNMPv1 Data Collection Fallback" which is enabled by default. Go to Settings (gear icon) > General Settings > Advanced Settings and scroll down to the "Data Collection", you should see it in there. Change the value to disabled, and I believe it will do what you want. This disables SNMPv1 completely as I understand it.

Re: Discovery via snmp 2c vs 1

Adviser
2430     0

Hi Peter,

To add to what John said, you can change one more Advanced Setting "SNMPv1/SNMPv2c Discovery Version" .

You can change this setting to "Use SNMPv2c for credential discovery".

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You