End Host Name resolution

Authority
2496     0

Hi. Not sure if this has been raised before, but I'm struggling to find the best practice for ensuring the Host Name field is populated in the Switch Port Management in NetMRI.

Although we have been using NetMRI for sometime, this subject has just been raised.

Is there any documentation regarding this? or can someone advise what is required.

Thanks

Russ.

Re: End Host Name resolution

Adviser
2497     0

You have to make sure that NetMRI is discovering that Network the host belongs to Smiley Happy

If you don't want to discover that network, SYNC it to your Infoblox DDI and it shows you that a Host Record and which switch and port it's connected to.

Follow me on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/sifbaksh
Twitter: https://twitter.com/sifbaksh

Authority
2497     0

Hi Sif,

Thanks for that. Unfortunately we dont have the DDI so cant go forward on that - we have a complicated outsourcing arrangement - and DHCP/DNS is provided by Microsoft servers. Looks like I will have to manually add the IP ranges through import.

Regards

Russ

AMathewGeorge
Techie
2497     0

Hi, 

End Host name resolution against the DNS servers is done when the End Host IP ranges are added to discovery settings.

Consider adding such ranges with "Exclude from Management" option. Hope this helps.

Authority
2497     0

Thanks for that. I realised that after a bit of trial and error.

Unfortunately a lot of our network infrastructure provides a shared network service with other organisations and as such we dont have a lot of devices in the main DNS server. This was the main reason for my initial post as I was a bit confused as to the mechanism and the documentation doesnt specifically indicate this requirement.

Once I put in the device ranges that we manage internally, I was able to get (a limited amount of) host name resolution working.

Rgds

Russ

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You