Accepted Solution

NetMRI printer discovery

jlmiller78
Techie
1437     0

Hi,

Is there any way to have NetMRI (re-)discover HP printers (laserjets, etc.) as such?  Currently, Most (if not all) of the HP printers in my network are classified (device type) 'unknown'.

Unfortunately, I can't turn 'NetBIOS' on for the 'unknown' device type; assuming the printers don't have it turned off as well.

In any case, after adding Canon, HP, etc. printer mibs, they still aren't re-classified.  Versus manually changing the type from 'unknown' to 'printer', is there a way to force rediscovery / reclassification?

NetMRI version 7.3.1 (current)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Jim

Re: NetMRI printer discovery

Adviser
1437     0

Add "public" to the SNMP credentials in settings

Follow me on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/sifbaksh
Twitter: https://twitter.com/sifbaksh

jlmiller78
Techie
1437     0

Sorry.  The 'public' string is already in settings.  And in our environment, SNMP may not be enabled.  That is why I was attempting to get name/type from NetBIOS.

skuchynski
Techie
1437     0

NetMRI can detect device as a printer if it has ports 515 or 9100 opened. Do you have Port Scanning/Fingerprinting enabled in NetMRI Settings > Setup > Collection and Groups?

jlmiller78
Techie
1437     0

Skuchynski, that is good to know.  No, I am not configured for port scanning / fingerprinting due to the warning of triggering internal intrusion monitoring.  I would need to work with our Security team for an exception.  I was hoping for something that might be simpler.

I am still researching, but appreciate ALL tips.

skuchynski
Techie
1437     0

If you don't have SNMP and Port Scanning available on your network, you don't have a lot of options - either change device type manually in Device Viewer or use Device Hints to assign Printer device type if there is any rule of providing IP address to your printers. For the names, if not for SNMP/NetBIOS, NetMRI could use DNS records if you have those for printers in your DNS server.

jlmiller78
Techie
1437     0

Thanks to all that responded.  Given that information, I took another look at how things were configured.  I incorrectly assumed that the default vendor SNMP strings (including 'public') were being used.  They were not.

I had to check the box for 'Use Vendor Default Community Strings' in Settings / Collection and Groups.

And wouldn't you know, now I have most of the printers.

Thanks again.

jannywatson
Techie
1437     0

Your info work for me, now I get to resolve, I also get that SNMP string is default vendor, and finding the solution of this but after getting this my problem is solved and I know the use vendor default community string, my friend also suggest me Printer is in an error state for that but I get to solve it here.

Highlighted

mikejones
Techie
1437     0

Lenovo printers are good to use and provide good services. I am also using a Lenovo printer which is also providing me with awesome services. But sometimes ago my laptop was showing an Error Code 0xc000000f.  

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You