Learn How We Can Help You Keep Teleworkers Protected During the COVID-19 Crisis

Network Change & Configuration Management

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

NetMRI push configuration to switches

Authority
7694     0

Hi Infoblox Community,

Recently I had done a NetMRI scan to all switch devices for my customer, after all the devices has been scanned and config logs has been gathered, customer is requesting to change NEW IP address of NTP from existing switches using netMRI to push the configuration to all switches. Can Infoblox NetMRI able to do so? If yes, is there any guide on how to configure? I have been doing some research in the KB and admin guide but it is not very helpful. Appreaciate users in here is able to guide and shed some light on this. 

Thanks.

Regards

Isaac Liew

Highlighted

Re: NetMRI push configuration to switches

7695     0

Yes.  Create a script that will login and gather the current configuration.  Then have it replace it with the new IP address.  Finish the script by saving the configuration.  There are not a lot of script examples in the admin guide, but there are some here or you can post what you have an where you are stuck.

Susan

Highlighted

Authority
7695     0

Hi Susan,

Thank you for the reply.

Beside using scripting, is there any possible way to do so? 

Regards

ILiew

Highlighted

[ Edited ]
Adviser
7695     0

OP, let me know exactly what you're looking for.

we are considering having a "scripting" resource available for customers who may want to create some unique workflows, etc.,  If this is of interest, please let me know.  Feel free to send me a PM and give me the criteria for what you're looking for.  It's not something that will be turned around in a week, but we see the need for this valuable resource and would like to confirm if it would be useful.

Eric

If you appreciate my efforts, please give me a kudo ↓ or Accept as solution to help others find it faster.
Highlighted

Authority
7695     0

Hi Eric,

Thank you for responding.

Customer would like to change their NTP server to another new IP address for all their switches. In my previous activity, I had perform a NetMRI scanning and successfully pulled all the configuration on the switches. Now, the problem I'm facing is I'm lack of knowledge on how to leverage on NetMRI to push configuration (using script) to all switches in customer environment.

ILiew

Highlighted

7695     0

Hmmm. I am not quit following your question.  Even if you have never used the scripting part of NetMRI, that is what you will want to use to update the configurations.  That is sort of the whole point of NetMRI.  You use the configuration backups and policies to audit you configuration.  When stuff is wrong, then you launch the scripts to update your configurations.

If you haven't used the scripts before they support Perl and CCS.  They are lots of examples and you can test your scripts against lab gear.  It's a lot easier than writing a script from scratch because you don't have to deal with the problems of logging onto the system or scheduling when you want the script to run.

I found an example one called "IOS NTP Settings".  Search for that and see what you think.  You should be able to edit it to match what you want to do.

Good Luck!

Highlighted

[ Edited ]
Expert
7695     0

I believe what you are looking for are AD-Hoc commands.

Go to Config Management > Job Management.  Then select the gear icon for Ad Hoc Command Batch and select Run Now.

Type the commands you are wanting to run to make this change.  Then select Next, then select your device group of the switches or you can select Devices and select each one.  Then just select Next once more and verify your script and run it.  You can then track the logs to see how it is going.

I also have a script that does this as well, but don't have time to edit it right now.

Highlighted

[ Edited ]
Techie
7695     0

IF all the devices have the same entries for NTP today you could use ad hoc script no the current servers out and add the new/correct ones.

For example let's say all your devices today have 

ntp server 1.1.1.1

ntp server 2.2.2.2

And you want

ntp server 3.3.3.3 

ntp server 4.4.4.4

You could in one ad hoc remove 1.1.1.1 2.2.2.2 and add 3.3.3.3 and 4.4.4.4

Run an ad hoc job against either the device group you have grouped them all into or run against individual devices to remove the old and add the new and don't forget to commit the changes.

Let's say you have pretty much any cisco device running IOS your ad hoc would look like

config t

no ntp server 1.1.1.1

no ntp server 2.2.2.2

ntp server 3.3.3.3

ntp server 4.4.4.4

do wr mem

You could keep track of how deep you are into the config and use exits to get you out of config and do your wr mem or copy run start but sometimes a script may be knee deep in a sub interface or acl or what have you I find it easier to just 'do wr mem' 

config t

no ntp server 1.1.1.1

no ntp server 2.2.2.2

ntp server 3.3.3.3

ntp server 4.4.4.4

exit

wr mem

Now as to what to run the ad hoc script against this is where creating groups can really save you time if you have created a group that contains all the devices you want to change you just run this against that one group.

If not you need to run the script against individual devices that you'll have to select.

Highlighted

Authority
7695     0

Hi 

Thank you so much for the advice. 

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You