Network Change & Configuration Management

Highlighted

Prevent devices from showing up in multilple device groups

Authority
1287     0

If I have several different extended device groups that contain the same devices, but different functions (i.e. test vs production). Is there a way to have a device to only match one group, such as the first one it matches?

For example, I have a general "Switching" group that contains anything of type Switch or Switch-Router. I want to separate out switches with "test" in the name. I created a second device group called "Test" with a higher rank than "Switching", and matches "$Name like /test/", but the devices show up in both "Test" and "Switching".

I could use the "notMemberof" statement in the "Switching" group, but that requires me to list all the device groups it shouldn't be a member of. I have a lot of these situations, so listing each group is not practical. Would something like "notmemberOf [*]" or other wildcard work? Seems like that would include the current group as well.

Or perhaps there is a way to tell NetMRI to stop matching at a certain rank?

Thanks.

Steve

Re: Prevent devices from showing up in multilple device groups

Adviser
1288     0

Rank is unrelated to matching. Rank is used to determine which settings win for a device, when it is a member of multiple groups.

There is no way to make a device part of a single group only. Each group is independently populated. You can do nested groups under Switching, that might satisfy your use case.

John

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You