Infoblox Exchange Cybersecurity Roadshow 2020 – Join us!
North America | Europe | Middle East/Africa | Asia-Pacific

Network Change & Configuration Management

Question for longtime users of NetMRI

NdeLeeuw
Techie
2094     0

We are going to test NetMRI anytime soon as a solution to get our DB cleared up and to get a grip on switch ports and VLANS etc.

Does anyone have prior experience with the Switch Port Manager of NetMRI.

Im curious if its possible to get a Port vs VLAN list for a switch.

We have people needing those lists so they can see which ports are available and which vlans on those switches are free

SPM

2094     0

~~Niels,
We have been using switch port manager for about 2 years to figure out our switch port utilization.  What I am happy with it is that it can tell me how many access ports are available at any given time on a per switch or per switch pair basis.  With groups I can see how many switch ports are available in a given data center as well.  NetMRI determine which ports are access ports and checks to see how many are still free.

I have included the definitions below of free and available ports as well as what is an access port (from the NetMRI Definitions).

Now when you say VLAN, what information are you looking for?  NetMRI will show you which vlans are configured on which devices.  What I like about this is that you can determine if the VLAN is already trunked down to a part of the network.  If you are running out of space on those switches, you can either add additional fexs or trunk the VLAN down to other switches in the network.  You can also see VLAN name discrepancies.  Say you names VLAN 15 "test" in on part of the network and "test2" in another part of the network.  NetMRI will highlight this and allow you to standardize the names.
Let me know what other information you are looking for.  We have been immensely pleased with this product.

~The data in SPM is based on "access ports", and outside of a possible bug, sometimes it is just a matter of determine what is identified as a "access port" by NetMRI. I have included those details below: The objective for SPM is to gather information on "physical access ports". Understanding NetMRI's definition for " physical access ports" is key to interpreting this data.

Access Ports are ports where end hosts gain "access" to your network via a Port on a Switch.
    Switch Ports used as "uplink" ports into the Core of your Network, are NOT considered "Access Ports".

**Examples of Switch Ports or NON-access ports**

Trunk Ports - ports that aggregate multiple vlan to the Core of your Network, are not considered "Access Ports".
    IP Interfaces - interfaces that have IP addresses configured on them, will not be considered "Access Ports". This issue needed some further clarification, as some of interfaces, might be marked as Routed, yet counted as Access Ports. This is because, although these ports had "no switch port" configured on them, if they DO NOT CURRENTLY have an IP ADDRESS configured, they will be counted as access ports.
    Virtual or Logical interfaces are NOT counted as physical access port

Total Ports: The number of switched Ethernet ports, in the selected Device Group, that are being managed by Switch Port Manager (if Entire Network is chosen, this counter represents all managed switching ports).

Free Ports: The count of ports most recently polled that show a link state of Down, having lost connectivity.
    Free Ports %: The percentage of all managed switch ports in the chosen Device Group showing Down link state.
    Available Ports: The count of ports that remained in a link state of Down for more than the prescribed time period; when a port is considered Available, it is deemed available for other network resources.

Note: The number of Available ports will always be less than or equal to the number of Free ports.

Available Ports %: The percentage of all managed switch ports appearing as Available.
    PoE Ports: The count of Cisco switched Ethernet ports running the Power over Ethernet switching protocol for IP telephony applications.

What i mean with Vlans is we

NdeLeeuw
Techie
2094     0

What i mean with Vlans is we have multiple vlans running on the same switch can i see like oh this switch as vlans 1,2,5,10 and 20 on it ?

And about the ports can i see oh this port has this vlan and this description.

Highlighted

You can see all the VLANs on the switch

2094     0

Niels,

Yes!  You can see all the VLANs on each switch.  There is a VLAN tab where you can search for a particular VLAN and see which switch it resides on, or you can just view all the VLANs and see an entire list of the VLANs. 

You may need to modify the groups in to keep the list managable. 

Finally, I like to export the list to CVS, open it in excel and use the pivot table feature.  Then I can get a list of each switch and all the vlans and then I can compare them against each other.  (e.g. Switch Name then VLAN Number and Count in the middle)

Hope this helps.

Susan

P.S.  Oh yeah and in device view under the Switch tab I can see a list of vlans there on a per device basis.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You