Accepted Solution

DNS client report by infoblox host

[ Edited ]
drew7722
Techie
3607     0

Community:

New to the forum here so I appreciate the help!

I am looking for reporting filter to show me all Clients using a specific grid member for DNS services within a certain period of time.  The goal is determine any statically configured devices using the DNS server so they can be pointed to a new DNS server.

I was able to get something close from the Top Client report - but I do not think it is showing me all the clients.

orig_host="HOSTNAME" index=ib_dns_summary report=si_dns_top_clients | lookup dns_viewkey_displayname_lookup VIEW output display_name | stats sum(COUNT) as CLIENT_QUERIES by CLIENT | sort -CLIENT_QUERIES | eventstats sum(CLIENT_QUERIES) as TOTAL | eval PERCENT=round(CLIENT_QUERIES*100/TOTAL,1) | eval PCLIENT=CLIENT+" ("+PERCENT+"%)" | rename PCLIENT as Client, CLIENT_QUERIES as Queries | fields Client, Queries

Thank you!

Re: DNS client report by infoblox host

[ Edited ]
drew7722
Techie
3607     0

Existing filter string

orig_host="HOSTNAME" index=ib_dns_summary report=si_dns_top_clients | lookup dns_viewkey_displayname_lookup VIEW output display_name | stats sum(COUNT) as CLIENT_QUERIES by CLIENT | sort -CLIENT_QUERIES | eventstats sum(CLIENT_QUERIES) as TOTAL | eval PERCENT=round(CLIENT_QUERIES*100/TOTAL,1) | eval PCLIENT=CLIENT+" ("+PERCENT+"%)" | rename PCLIENT as Client, CLIENT_QUERIES as Queries | fields Client, Queries

[ Edited ]
Adviser
3607     0

Hello,

It is most probably because you are using "report=si_dns_top_clients". It already has sort and head functions inside it to limit the number of clients in the output.

Can you try the below? Also replace the bold portion with the fqdn of your DNS member.

'sort 0'  helps prevent sort from truncating the results to 10000 rows

sourcetype=ib:dns:query:top_clients index=ib_dns | lookup dns_viewkey_displayname_lookup VIEW output display_name |search host=your.dns.member.fqdn | stats sum(COUNT) as CLIENT_QUERIES by CLIENT | sort 0 -CLIENT_QUERIES | eventstats sum(CLIENT_QUERIES) as TOTAL | eval PERCENT=round(CLIENT_QUERIES*100/TOTAL,1) | eval PCLIENT=CLIENT+" ("+PERCENT+"%)" | rename PCLIENT as Client, CLIENT_QUERIES as Queries | fields Client, Queries

Best Regards,

Bibin Thomas

drew7722
Techie
3607     0

Thanks!   That seems to be doing the trick.  I am getting a lot more cleints in the list as compared to the other search string.

samjha
Techie
3607     0

I am newbie in Infoblox. Please help me to setup Spluk report.

* we have multiple grid member, wanted to add in single report  "DNS client report by infoblox host"

Thanks

Highlighted

Adviser
3607     0

In the "reporting" tab, you'll need to click on the "search" sub-tab, then paste in the code above. Note that you'll need to replace the "host=your.dns.member.fqdn" with the host name of the host you are looking to get statistics for.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You