Reporting

Highlighted

Is there a host name discrepancy report?

Expert
3837     0

Hi,

We have Network Insight and Reporting installed at a customer, we are running NIOS 8.1.1. We've had a request to provide a host name discrepancy report, that is a list of all the devices where the discovered host name is different to the host name defined against the host object in NIOS.

I could probably write an API script to do this but I was wondering if there is a way to get the reporting server to do this - is it possible to access the host name field in the NIOS object and compare it with the discovered host name?

Can anyone share any tips or maybe there is a report out there that someone else has already written?

Regards,

Paul

Paul Roberts
PCN (UK) Ltd

All opinions expressed are my own and not representative of PCN Inc./PCN (UK) Ltd. E&OE

Re: Is there a host name discrepancy report?

[ Edited ]
Adviser
3838     0

Paul,

I'm not sure I'm clear on what you mean by "discovered host name". NIOS will always use itself to resolve the name for an IP, so in theory there would never be a discrepancy.

Are you looking to identify if the hostname configured on the system is different than the DNS name? If so, that wouldn't be possible since NIOS has no way to interact directly with the system to discover how it is configured. Additionally, it's quite common for a single system to have mutltiple DNS names. For example webserver1.infoblox.com might also have the DNS name www.infoblox.com, thusly one of them would appear to be discrepant.

Thanks!

-Roger

Expert
3838     0

Hi Roger,

Yes the customer has found that many devices have a different name set locally (discoverable by SNMP), than what is defined as the DNS name for that host in NIOS. We'd like to do a report of these differences if that's possible? I appreciate that there could be multiple DNS names, but in this case that's quite rare.

Cheers,

Paul

Paul Roberts
PCN (UK) Ltd

All opinions expressed are my own and not representative of PCN Inc./PCN (UK) Ltd. E&OE

Adviser
3838     0

Thanks for that clarification. Unfortuantely this doesn't currently exist "out of the box".

The only way to pull SNMP data with reporting is through the DTC feature. It can query an oid from a server and send the result to the reporting server. You could then create a custom report to perform the analysis to evaluate any discrepancies.

It's feasible, but not very elegant since that is not how the SNMP functionality is designed to be used.

Expert
3838     0

Thanks Roger, one of my colleagues is working on this and I'm pretty sure he did see some discovery information (e.g. discovered host name) in the reporting server by using the ib_discovery index (we have the "Device" category enabled), so really the question is whether there's an index that will access the NIOS data for a given IP address (e.g. DNS name) - I'm guessing that's probably not possible.

I'm about to go on vacation so might look at an API script when I get back, as the "discovered" name is available in the NIOS GUI, I just need to see if there's an API call that will extract it.

Paul Roberts
PCN (UK) Ltd

Moderator Dave_Signori
3838     0

Hi Paul,

I'm having Engineering take a look at this but have a few questions.  Do you want this for both Network devices and End hosts?  Are all your Host records with DNS enabled so it's actually a FQDN?  Do you want to ensure it's an exact FQDN to FQDN match or do you just want hostnames to match?  Meaning if the Name is foo.demo.com and the Discovered name is just foo, is that okay?

Dave

@DaveSignori

Expert
3838     0

Hi Dave,

I don't have a formal set of requirements, but we have many host entries both with DNS enabled and without, also many entries that have a FQDN and many that don't (i.e. short name only on hosts that have DNS disabled).

So I think we are probably mainly interested in just the host name part of the FQDN and mainly for end hosts. Hopefully my colleague can step into this topic here soon as I'll be jetting off on my hols tomorrow. Smiley Happy

Cheers,

Paul

Paul Roberts
PCN (UK) Ltd

davechampagne
Techie
3838     0

What we're being asked for is a report of where we have differences between the device name listed for an end device in the database and the device name when discovered using SNMP.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You