Export lots and lots of fixed addresses and Import them back in

608     0

I have a situation where we blew away a ton of networks and their fixed hosts.  I have imported the networks back in, but I still need to import the fixed addresses.  The export/import option in the UI does not seem to work.

How do you export lots and lots of fixed addresses from one system and them re-import them back in?

Re: Export lots and lots of

Adviser
608     0

For the Fixed Addresses, you will want to go to the DHCP tab under Data.  Then export from there.  If you have the older backup file restored to a lab Grid, you should be able to export and re-import into the production Grid.

If you have a lot of subnets/networks to do this for, you will most likely want to leverage the API to loop through the networks in question, then export to CSV.  Then you can combine the files for import or use a similar script that just imports the data into production.

608     0

The export from the Web UI doesn't export them in a format that you can import them back in.

I was hoping to use the API.  Except the problem is that I am a netowork engineer and not a programmer.

How could I find a simple example of how to use the API to export a bunch of host records?  Then maybe I could modify the script to fit my needs.

Is there a script repository on this site?

blee
Techie
608     0

They can assist with identifying possible solutions for the equipment you have.  In addition, you also have an opportunity to talk about other options regarding

608     0

Baron,

Who is they?

Adviser
608     0

Susan,

You can get basic examples from the API documentation for simple tasks with just copy and paste from the API guide.  That will get you started without you having to be an experience scripter/programmer.  Just look for the SAMPLES section at the bottom of each of the respective areas.  You won't have a "bulk" import tool with just the copy/paste but it will get you started on scripting.

For what you need though, you can use the CSV import for fixed addresses.  If you go into the Data Management > DHCP > Networks tabs and find a network that has at least one fixed address today (or create one for reference), you can export that data.  The default option for export is to export as displayed (this is good for offline custom report formatting).  What you want to do is click the little drop down option on the export button and export as importable CSV.

The CSV format is documented in the CSV reference manual but I find this to be the easiest way to have a complete view of what you'll want to work with.  Once you have the sample exported, just use any CSV editor (Excel is a good choice) and add all of the records you need to bulk add.  When finished, import the CSV file via the UI and use the "Add" option.

Highlighted

DDunleap
Techie
608     0

It's looking like some details changed since this was posted. In 8.2.7 I'm seeing some differences,  as on the export, the drop down now is called Separator with the choices of Comma, Semicolon, Space, Tab.   When I select IPv4 Fixed Address in All DHCP Objects - it exports ALL of the fixed addresses.  I'm not seeing a way to select the networks that I am interested in.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You