Learn How We Can Help You Keep Teleworkers Protected During the COVID-19 Crisis

Security

Highlighted

Infoblox DNS response

Techie
4461     0

Hi All,I configured Infoblox DNS Appliances as Grid Master and member mode, and import the zone details and make one zone for testing of Authoritative response, but when I was trying to do nslookup and whenever i put server , then it replies with 2 sec delays i.e. dns timeout and same for the record response.Please can any one suggest in that.Thanks...Jay

Highlighted

Re: Infoblox DNS response

Employee
Employee
4462     0
could there be a firewall between the two boxes preventing you from connecting to it?
Highlighted

Community Manager
Community Manager
4462     0
Don't use nslookup. There are long discussions about why it produces false negatives. The delay is due to nslookup trying to resolve RRsets that aren't related to your query. (look at a packet capture to see for yourself). Use 'Dig' instead and you will probably see the delay go away. (and dig will tell you the /real/ response time)
Highlighted

Techie
4462     0
It might be worth checking if the zone is assigned to a member that has dns running. This is configured in the zone properties.
Highlighted

Techie
4462     0

Just to know, what would be an optimal response time when a DNS does recursion?

Highlighted

Authority
4462     0

The answer is "it depends". This is similar to asking "what is the optimal response time from a web page?", the answer depends very much on the location of the requestor (client), the resouce that is being requested (server), whether or not the resource links to other resources (page contain components from other page, or in DNS, CNAME), and the client application requirements (does web browser expect a certain response time? Does DNS client expect a certain response time?)

Even with that said, as a rule of thumb, if your DNS server is taking more than 2000ms (2 seconds) to respond, it is too long. In the examples given by this (very old) thread, some DNS lookup tools are impatient and would declare anything over 2000ms as "unreachable". 

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You