Mandatory Hostname when creating a Host Record

MCreed
Techie
2732     0

Does anyone know why the hostname field is not classed as Mandatory i.e can not be left blank?

I assume that I would have to set some kind of Hostname enforcement policy to not allow "blank" hostname entries?

Re: Mandatory Hostname when

Adviser
2732     0

Because it is valid to have it blank.

Let's say you have a zone foo.com and would like to have an IP associated to it (to serve a web page).

You can either create A/AAAA and PTR records or a Host record in that zone with an empty name.

MCreed
Techie
2732     0

Apologies, what I was actually alluding to was, for internal purposes, if I wanted to make it such that a Host Record SHOULD NOT have a blank hostname, how could this be attained?

RQuinlan_1
Techie
2732     0

IIRC, once you have a host entry for the root (i.e. host name *blank*.foo.com), any attempt to add another host with the same host name would produce an error, does that help?

Highlighted

DFunk
Techie
2732     0

Yes - this is correct.

If the hostname is left blank, the assigned IP applies to the zone name.  If you try to add another hostname and leave the hostname field blank, you will get an error, since the object already exists.

The same holds true if you try to add a hostname (and specify the hostname) when that hostname already exists.  The object already exists, so you will get an error.

Hostnames must always be specified (i.e., they are mandatory) when creating hostname records, execept when you are assigning an IP to the zone name.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You