RPZ always uses zone transfer rather than grid replication?

Expert
5058     0

Hi, I'm just working on a low-level design for a customer and I need to get the RPZ feed from the lead secondary out in the DMZ through a firewall to the internal DNS servers. When I configure the grid secondaries it doesn't give me the option to use grid replication or zone transfer, which made me wonder which protocol it uses. I need to know for the firewall rules.

Anyway, I set it all up in the lab and sniffed the packets with wireshark.

It *looks* like it's using standard zone transfers, can someone confirm? I searched the admin guide but couldn't find anything, however at 1800 pages I could have missed it!

I just need to know so I can say for definite that the customer will need to open up port 53 on the firewall.

Regards,

Paul

Paul Roberts
PCN (UK) Ltd

All opinions expressed are my own and not representative of PCN Inc./PCN (UK) Ltd. E&OE

Re: RPZ always uses zone transfer rather than grid replication?

Adviser
5059     0

Yes, I recall that this is true. If you are using a lead secondary, the distribution mechanism is via zone transfer. Admin guide states:

When a primary server is external to a Grid whose members are secondary servers, you can select this check box to designate one member as a lead secondary. The primary server sends zone transfers to the lead secondary, which distributes the zone data to the other secondary servers in the Grid using zone transfers (not the Grid data replication mechanism)

Re: RPZ always uses zone transfer rather than grid replication?

Expert
5059     0

Thanks for confirming.

Regards,

Paul

Paul Roberts
PCN (UK) Ltd

All opinions expressed are my own and not representative of PCN Inc./PCN (UK) Ltd. E&OE
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended for You