#89: Can you please explain Upgrade Groups and what they are used for?
Can you please explain Upgrade Groups and what they are used for?
Grid with multiple members
We can organize members into upgrade groups and schedule their software distributions. This is useful, for example, in a large Grid spanning multiple time zones where there are fluctuating network and downtime considerations at various locations. Note that you can also schedule their upgrades, depending on the existing releases and their upgrade paths.
Infoblox provides two default upgrade groups:
• Grid Master: After you configure the Grid Master, it automatically becomes the only member of this group. You cannot modify or delete this group.
• Reporting Member: After you configure a reporting member in a Grid, it automatically becomes the only member of this group. This group will be upgraded automatically after the Grid Master and before other upgrade groups.
• Default: This is the default upgrade group to which the appliance automatically assigns Grid members. If you do not explicitly assign a member to an upgrade group, it remains in the Default group.
When creating upgrade groups, we can select the Grid members for that group, and specify whether the software distribution and upgrade occur on all group members at the same time, or successively in the order they are listed in the group members list. A Grid member can belong to only one upgrade group.
We recommend the below while creating upgrade groups:
• Put the following members in the first upgrade group after the Grid Master upgrade:
All Grid Master candidates, DNS primaries, and the DHCP logging member.
• To minimize the risk of a loss in DNS services, put the name servers for a zone in different upgrade groups, and assign the primary and secondary servers to separate upgrade groups.
The Grid Master must always upgrade before the upgrade groups. Depending on your upgrade paths, you can schedule the upgrade for the Grid Master and upgrade groups at different times over a period of nine days. If you schedule an upgrade that takes more than nine days, the appliance displays a warning.
Upgrading Groups Immediately:
After you schedule an upgrade with multiple upgrade groups, you can choose to immediately upgrade an upgrade group that has not been upgraded yet. This function is available only for scheduled upgrades.
To upgrade an upgrade group now:
1. From the Grid tab, select the Upgrade tab, and then click Toggle Group List View.
2. In the Group List view, click the Upgrade Group Now icon in the upgrade group row.
Grid Manager immediately upgrades the selected group.
For more details on how to create/edit Upgrade Groups, and how to schedule distributions and upgrades, see the Admin Guide, available from the support web site, or the on-line help, available from the NIOS GUI.