Support Central: KB #296: Getting the status as failure while configuring the MS server
In our continuing effort to provide you with knowledge base articles and information to help you resolve issues, this post highlights KB article #296: "Getting the status as failure while configuring the MS server for managing the DNS data."
Getting the status as failure while configuring the MS server for managing the DNS data. Following logs can be seen:
Sync DNS server ERROR ADDRESS xx.xx.xx.xx Could not query DNS server information: NT code 0x00000005
Sync DNS server ERROR ADDRESS xx.xx.xx.xx DNS server returned server information in the wrong format: received UNKNOWN(0), expected LONGHORN(35)
Sync status ERROR ADDRESS xx.xx.xx.xx Could not open Service Control Manager: the requested operation failed.
NIOS Grid syncing DNS data with Microsoft DNS Servers.
All NIOS versions.
Synchronization failed due to incorrect active directory user permissions on the Microsoft Windows domain controller.
Based the Admin Guide and referencing Microsoft links it appears that DNS user/server account require Full access rights:
- DNS Administrator group member
- Full access to Operations Manager working directory
- Event Log Readers group member
- Performance Monitor Users group member
- Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) Read right
- Full access to DNS Server service to DNSAdmins account
- Full access to service control manager to DNSAdmins account