Introducing SOC Insights for BloxOne Threat Defense: Boost your SOC efficiency with AI-driven insights to eliminate manual work and accelerate investigation and response times. Read the blog announcement here.

NIOS DNS DHCP IPAM

Difference between Fixed and Reserved addresses - NIOS DHCP

[ Edited ]
7175     1

Hi everyone

I have  a doubt about these concepts. Fixed is done with mac address or client ID with IP but reserved is confuse for me.

What's the main use of Reservation, scenarios and the difference with Fixed.

Now these reserved IP can be used within the range or out the range?

In the case of Fixed address also can be used out of the range?

Thank you for you suggestions

Re: Difference between Fixed and Reserved addresses - NIOS DHCP

[ Edited ]
Superuser
7175     1

Hello There,

To keep it simple, "DHCP Reservations" are IP addresses binded to MAC address 00:00:00:00:00:00 which means that this IP address will NEVER be leased out to a client & is for future purposes. So unless you decide to change your mind & add these ones to a DHCP pool or bind a MAC address with each of them etc, they stay always as Reserved.

On the other hand DHCP Fixed addresses are something that can be leased out immediately when a client with the defined MAC/Client Id approaches the server for a lease. You can have fixed addresses within or outside a scope. 

Best regards,

Superuser
7175     1

Hi,

Reserve means im not going to lease out this ip to client -- future used --, while fix means i will lease this ip to specifig mac address or specifig client identifier or specifig dhcp relay circuit id

Thanks

7176     1

I had created some reservations for IP addresses that had not been handed out using DHCP. The IP addresses were in a DHCP range. However, a couple of weeks later that IP address had been handed out to a DHCP client even though a reservation for that IP address exists in Infoblox. Any ideas why an IP address would be handed out, when there is a reservation?

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended for You