Introducing SOC Insights for BloxOne Threat Defense: Boost your SOC efficiency with AI-driven insights to eliminate manual work and accelerate investigation and response times. Read the blog announcement here.

NIOS DNS DHCP IPAM

Using Forwarders w/ Delegated Zones

1576     1

I found out the hard way that when you specify forwarders on a DNS view and select "use forwarders only", it ignores any delegated zones within that view.  We were trying to bypass the use of root hints by selecting that, but it obviously backfired.  Does anyone know the expected behavior for delegations when specifying forwarders on a DNS view, WITHOUT the "use forwarders only" option?  Will the delegation be honored and recursively query the servers on it's config... or will the forwarders at the view level trump them?

Re: Using Forwarders w/ Delegated Zones

1576     1

On the parent zone that has delegations, the setting "Don't use forwarders to resolve queries in subzones" must be checked.

For example, if you have a delegation, "gtm.example.org" that points to a load balancer, edit the zone "example.com",  click on the Settings panel, and check the setting "Don't use forwarders to resolve queries in subzones".  A restart is required.

Re: Using Forwarders w/ Delegated Zones

1577     1

I too fell foul of this, where I was trying to foward a specific zone to a cloud based endpoint, if the zone authoratative on the forward "master" did an SOA response from a parent zone (where there was no record in the forward zone" Infoblox would view it as an Invalid-Response and present a SERVFail.
I have an open support call on this behaviour, as Im curious if its an issue with BIND and LAME-Servers, or an issue with my understanding of what the "use forwarders only" setting actually does. (Im anticipating its the latter in fairness)

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended for You