Introducing SOC Insights for BloxOne Threat Defense: Boost your SOC efficiency with AI-driven insights to eliminate manual work and accelerate investigation and response times. Read the blog announcement here.

NIOS DNS DHCP IPAM

When do I need Match Clients for DNS Views

Techie
566     0

Hello,

is it mandatory to use match clients for DNS views?

Do we have to use match clients if different DNS servers are used "per view"?

Best Regards

Re: When do I need Match Clients for DNS Views

567     0

It is not mandatory. You can, as you've described, have a view assigned to servers dedicated to only that view and any clients that hit that server will get responses from that primary view without client matching being setup.

Techie
567     0

Hello,

thanks for your response. It helps me.

Is it correct that I only assign the DNS zones within the view to a member and not the view itself?

For example:
I have DNS View 1, dns view 2 and i have dns server 1 and 2. DNS server 1 is authoritative for the dns zones in the dns view 1 and dns server 2 is authoritative for the dns zones for the dns view 2.

With this configuration I don't need match clients?

When are match clients mandatory?

567     0

What you are describing is fine if it fits your intended design and that way of assigning the zones within the view is correct. Match-clients is used when multiple views are hosted on the same DNS server. It is one method to let the server know which view to use for the requesting client. 

WIth the setup you're describing clients will have to query the proper DNS server corresponding to the proper view. 

ISC has more information on this here: https://kb.isc.org/docs/aa-00851

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended for You

NIOS 8.6.3 – What’s New in DDI