06-02-2021 10:34 AM - edited 06-02-2021 11:17 AM
I inherited a network environment with an Infoblox appliance so i am not too familiar with it.
On my linux workstation, when I type in "nslookup localhost", it returns with "server can't find localhost". This is normal because the entry "localhost" is not added to my Infoblox Appliance.
When I do a "nslookup 127.0.0.1", it returns with localhost. I see that there is a PTR record for this in Infoblox. I was told that I need to add an A record but I am unclear on where to add this.
Where/How do I add "localhost" in my Infoblox Appliance so that it returns 127.0.0.1 to my linux workstation?
06-02-2021 12:45 PM
I found this KB article that describes exactly the issue that I am having.
I just followed the instructions and added an A record for localhost in my Infoblox Appliance.
To resolve the issue, you must:
- Create a zone named "localhost" in the Infoblox DNS server
- Create a blank "A" record under hte localhost zone which points to the IP address 127.0.0.1.
To create a "localhost" zone and an "A" record:
- From the Data Management tab, select DNS tab > Zones, and then click the Add icon > Authoritative Zone.
- Click Next. Enter "localhost" under the Name section.
- Click Next to assign a name server group to the zone.
- Click Next and add Extensible Attributes if any, then click Save & Close.
- On the Zones tab, expand the Toolbar and click Add > Record > Add A Record.
- In the Add A Record wizard, do the following:
- Name: click Select Zone button and choose the zone name "localhost" in the dialog box and then leave the Name section as blank/empty.
- In the IP Addresses section, enter the IP address 127.0.0.1
- Comment: Optionally, enter additional information about the A record.
- Create associated PTR record: Select this option to automatically generate a PTR record that maps the specified IP address to the hostname. To create the PTR record, the reverse-mapping zone must be in the database.
- Disable: Select this check box to disable the record. Clear the check box to enable it.
- Click Next to define extensible attributes if any.
- Save the configuration.
- Click Restart if it appears at the top of the screen.