Infoblox’s global team of threat hunters uncovers a DNS operation with the ability to bypass traditional security measures and control the Great Firewall of China. Read about “Muddling Meerkat” and the many other threat actors discovered by Infoblox Threat Intel here.

API Examples

Node HA Failover by wAPI/REST

1767     0

Hi Team!

We do node HA failover testing on a routine basis, currently we login to the grid and push buttons to force failover between nodes (pic below of what we choose, Grid - Grid Master - Members - checkmark the pair to HA - Control - Force HA Failover - Click Ok to confirm - Wait).

I am wondering if there is a wAPI/REST call to make this happen?  I looked through the wAPI/REST guides and searched here but didnt find anything.  I know sometimes there are hidden/undocumented APIs.

Thank you!

IB-HA-failover.png

Re: Node HA Failover by wAPI/REST

Techie
1768     0

Hi apasquali_,

I looked through the WAPI documentation and I believe your assumption is correct, however, there may be a workaround. In the API call dhcpfailover,  two function calls exist that may help:

set_dhcp_failover_partner_down: Force a HA member into a 'Partner Down' state 

set_dhcp_failover_secondary_recovery: Force the failover recovery of the secondary member in the HA pair

These calls are on page 375 of the WAPI documentation (link). I cannot confirm that these calls will work the same as a 'Force HA failover' from the web interface, so I suggest testing these calls in a lab to confirm if they have the desired results.

Thank you,

David

1768     0

HA failover (Failover between two members that are in the same cluster) is very differnt than a DHCP failover association (Failover beween two members or clusters). "set_dhcp_failover_partner_down" and "set_dhcp_failover_secondary_recovery" only affect the DHCP relationship, not between members of the same cluster. 

1768     0

The call you are looking for is a function call on the member object. Here is a generic link to the appropriate documentation:

https://<GM>/wapidoc/objects/member.html#member-admin-operation

Let me know if you need an example call.

1768     0

I know this is like 9 months old but for anyone who comes looking...

Successfully tested example code - 

url = "https://<infoblox>/wapi/v2.11.3/member/member/ZG5zLm5ldHdvcmtfdmlldyQxMTk:member.com/"
params = {
	"_function": "member_admin_operation"
	}
data = {
	"operation": "FORCE_FAILOVER"
	}
r = session.post (url, auth=(user,passwd), verify=False, data=json.dumps(data), params=params)
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended for You

Businesses are investing heavily into securing company resources from cyber-attacks form cybercrimin