Infoblox’s global team of threat hunters uncovers a DNS operation with the ability to bypass traditional security measures and control the Great Firewall of China. Read about “Muddling Meerkat” and the many other threat actors discovered by Infoblox Threat Intel here.

API & Integration, DevOps,NetOps,SecOps

curl giving different output when out is assigned to a var in a bash script

[ Edited ]
Techie
5466     0

I am running the following cmd:

curl -k1 -u usernameSmiley Tongueassword -H "Content-Type: application/json" -X GET https://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/wapi/v2.5/extensibleattributedef? -d '{"name":"ea_name"}'

replacing the appropriate fields to obtain the object_ID for. This cmd outputs a json list with the object_ID and other information.

However, when I run this same cmd inside a bash script using the following syntax:

output=$(curl -k1 -u "$userID":"$passwd" -H "Content-Type: application/json" -X GET https://"$ip"/wapi/v2.5/extensibleattributedef? -d '{"name":"$ea_name"}')

I get the transfer stats from curl instead of the json list.

Does anyone know why the output is different when assigning the output to a variable? How can I get the json list stored in $output?

Re: curl giving different output when out is assigned to a var in a bash script

5466     0

Use the curl "-s" or "--silent" option to supress the stats.

output=$(curl -s -k1 -u "$userID":"$passwd" -H "Content-Type: application/json" -X GET https://"$ip"/wapi/v2.5/extensibleattributedef? -d '{"name":"$ea_name"}')

Techie
5466     0

The -s did suppress the stats, but I'm still not getting anything stored $output

5466     0

This method is super finicky about single quotes, double quotes, and spaces.  I got it to work if the EA name doesn't have a space but could not get it to encode a space properly, for cases where the EA name has a space.

I'd reccomend going with Perl or Python instead if possible.  If you must use Bash + Curl, maybe work with the libcurl methods instead of redirected output from an external command.

Here's my working example.  I kept the extra "echo $ea_name" for troubleshooting.

#!/bin/bash

userID="admin"
passwd="infoblox"
ip="192.168.1.2"
ea_name="Role"

echo $ea_name

output=$(curl -s -k1 -u admin:infoblox -X GET https://$ip/wapi/v2.5/extensibleattributedef -H Content-Type:application/json -d {\"name\":\"$ea_name\"})

echo $output

And here's the output:

Role
[ { "_ref": "extensibleattributedef/b25lLmV4dGVuc2libGVfYXR0cmlidXRlc19kZWYkLlJvbGU:Role", "default_value": null, "name": "Role", "type": "STRING" } ]

Techie
5466     0

Ok, I've done some debugging and have discovered the following:

I took the output of the curl cmd that was run from the cmdline, inserted it into a variable in another script and attempted to print that contents of that variable and got [].

There is something in the json list that is either preventing the json list from being stored or it is interferring with the echo cmd. I did try printf in place of echo and got the same [] output. I also tried writing to a file and got, you guessed it, [] in the file.

So, I'm changing my question to how do I properly store a multi-line json list in bash and how do I print it out.

[ Edited ]
Techie
5466     0

Thanks @MRichard

I copied and pasted your script and I got the same result as earlier:

Role

[]

Can you tell me what distribution and version you ran this under?

I'm running RHEL-7.

5466     0

You would need an EA called "Role" for it to work exactly.  That's not a default EA, so you should check on which
EAs are configured in the grid.

I ran it successfully on Mac OSX Mojave, 10.14.6 and on Centos 7.6.1810.

[ Edited ]
Techie
5466     0

Understood.

I used one of our existing EA that does not contain a space. I just put Role in the post for simplicity.

If that worked in CentOS 7.6, then it should work in RHEL-7.6.

Weird.....ok, I'll give Python a go.

Thanks for your assistance.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended for You