Infoblox’s global team of threat hunters uncovers a DNS operation with the ability to bypass traditional security measures and control the Great Firewall of China. Read about “Muddling Meerkat” and the many other threat actors discovered by Infoblox Threat Intel here.

API & Integration, DevOps,NetOps,SecOps

search for a host in a specific network

4136     0

We have subnets tagged with extensible attributes that we can use, but as a validation I'm trying to lookup a hostname in a specific network and not everything. Is this possible?

we use ansible and as an example we have this to lookup a network and then add a record to it

target_network"{{ lookup('infoblox.nios_modules.nios_lookup', 'network', filter={'*Site': 'UK-north','*Platform': 'Dev', '*Type': 'test_network'}, return_fields=['network', 'extattrs'], provider=nios_provider) }}"

How can I use that network in a hostname search?

Re: search for a host in a specific network

[ Edited ]
Superuser
4136     0

Hello, 

Can you define what "host" is in your terms ? It can be a DNS RR with DHCP enabled/disabled, DHCP lease within a network, Fixed address etc. If there's a call which yields what you need + the extras, that'll be helpfull. If not, can you please define a "Host" to be sure ?

Best regards,

4136     0

Hi,

Just a fixed IPv4 address . 

So i want to be able to get any records using something like below

set_fact:
  records: "{{(lookup('infoblox.nios_modules.nios_lookup', 'record:host', filter={'name': 'test.domain.com'}, provider=nios_provider)) }}"

but only return entries in a certain network which i've grabbed using this..

set_fact:
  deploy_target_network: "{{ lookup('infoblox.nios_modules.nios_lookup', 'network', filter={'*Site': 'test_site', '*Type': 'test_network'}, return_fields=['network', 'extattrs'], provider=nios_provider) }}"

Adviser
4136     0

Hi,

You should be able to specify the network field on to the host as a filter. Please note that this will only work for WAPI versions 2.11 onwards.

set_fact:
  records: "{{(lookup('infoblox.nios_modules.nios_lookup', 'record:host', filter={'network': '10.0.0.0/24'}, provider=nios_provider)) }}"

If you are looking for all IP addresses that are being used in a subnet, you can use the following lookup:

set_fact:
  records: "{{(lookup('infoblox.nios_modules.nios_lookup', 'ipv4address', filter={'network': '10.10.10.0/24','status':'USED'}, provider=nios_provider)) }}"

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Krishna Vasudevan

4136     0

Thanks Krishna,

i got something going with

when"(lookup('infoblox.nios_modules.nios_lookup', 'ipv4address', filter={'network': target_network.network ,'status':'USED', 'names': 'test.domain.com'}, provider=nios_provider)) | length == 0"

I have a stage problem though.

When I try to add a record with '
nios_next_ip' on the network I'm interested in, then it moves a record from another network also. 

i.e. 

network 10.0.10.0/24 has test.domain.com with reservation 10.0.10.1

when I try reserve something else like 
test.domain.com on 10.0.20.0/24 with nios_next_ip . it moves the record from 10.0.10.1 to 10.0.20.1 and then the new record to 10.0.20.2.
So I end up with: -

test.domain.com 10.0.20.1
test.domain.com 10.0.20.2

I then found the param in the module "addtrue" but this fails if no host record exists already.

4136     0

Hi 

I'm trying to get all the records of any particular network. Can you advise how can I retrieve it? Where can I get the ns_lookup module? Can I still get something similar using wapi version 2.7please?

I don't see 'network' field in the record object in the documentation 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended for You