Infoblox’s global team of threat hunters uncovers a DNS operation with the ability to bypass traditional security measures and control the Great Firewall of China. Read about “Muddling Meerkat” and the many other threat actors discovered by Infoblox Threat Intel here.

DNS DHCP IPAM

DDNS PTR Updates

[ Edited ]
9067     0

Hi,

In short, I'm hoping for some reason behind DDNS not updating PTR records when a host changes IPs. It suggests in DDNS and infoblox documentation that PTR records should by dynamically updated.

To give a high level of my testnig envrionment and procedure:

• NIOS 6.12.7-281477
  • The zonesin question are mydomain.com and 10.in-addr.arpa
  • RHEL VM host configured for DHCP
  • VM boots and successfully picks up DHCP address 10.0.1.254/24 and creates an A and PTR record
  • I move the VM to another switch
  • Restart network services on the VM,VM picks up new address range on the switch of 10.0.2.254/24
  • The A record is properly updated, but old PTR record remains
  • I am left with two PTR records (different IPs) pointing to the same myserver.mydomain.com

I currently have the following settings configured/checked for DDNS in the global grid DHCP properties:

• DDNS TTL: 8 hours
  • Update DNS on DHCP Lease Renewal
  • Generate Hostname if not Sent by Client

I have fiddled around with some of the settings, under Data Management specifically looking through DNS > Grid DNS Properties > UpdatesDHCP > Grid DHCP Properties, and DHCP > Configure DDNS

I feel like I'm missing a configuration item, because DHCP and DDNS are working well outside this one issue. If there is anything I can clarify, I'd be happy to do so.

Thank you,

Kyle

Re: DDNS PTR Updates

9068     0

what is known that you have to upgrade the IOS and scanvenging option enable.  This option will work to update PTR record and delete old one.

Re: DDNS PTR Updates

9068     0

Hello, where can i download the NIOS ?

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended for You