Introducing SOC Insights for BloxOne Threat Defense: Boost your SOC efficiency with AI-driven insights to eliminate manual work and accelerate investigation and response times. Read the blog announcement here.

NIOS DNS DHCP IPAM

Cannot Ping using hostname after migrate dns to Infoblox from AD

Superuser
3832     0

Hi All,

Right now im on trial migrating DNS from microsoft AD to Infoblox. I already import the _ (underscore) record to infoblox, i already tried to join domain the domain. the problem is when i try to ping the client laptop using name, it's failed, but when i tried to ping using the clients fqdn it is success.

Please any advice about it, may i have missing configuration?

Thanks.

Re: Cannot Ping using hostname after migrate dns to Infoblox from AD

Expert
3833     0

The fact that the ping with fqdn worked means DNS is working fine. You have a problem with the local configuration on whatever machine you used to do the ping check. If it's Windows, check the primary and connection specific DNS suffixes are correct.

Paul Roberts
PCN (UK) Ltd

All opinions expressed are my own and not representative of PCN Inc./PCN (UK) Ltd. E&OE

Superuser
3833     0

CMIIW, as microsoft dns behaviour every client which join to a domain, it will create a dynamic record of that client hostname. will it be possible to do the same at Infoblox

Thanks

Rafki

Expert
3833     0

Yes, if the client is DHCP enabled, the Infoblox DHCP server will do it on behalf of the client.

If the client is a static then you'll need to set an ACL to allow the client to update the DNS zone, but this is not secure and I always discourage it. Having said that, if it's a static, someone or something should have allocated the IP in the first place and set the DNS name on that record already, so the client doesn't need to add it.

Paul Roberts
PCN (UK) Ltd

All opinions expressed are my own and not representative of PCN Inc./PCN (UK) Ltd. E&OE
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended for You

This widget could not be displayed.

Demo: Infoblox IPAM plug-in integration with OpenStack Newton

" class="expert-of-month-image"/>