Infoblox’s global team of threat hunters uncovers a DNS operation with the ability to bypass traditional security measures and control the Great Firewall of China. Read about “Muddling Meerkat” and the many other threat actors discovered by Infoblox Threat Intel here.

NIOS DNS DHCP IPAM

DNS Views

Authority
5171     0

Hi, 

We have created 2 separate view for INTERNAL and EXTERNAL DNS. The 2 views have the same zone but DIFFERENT Infoblox appliances are authorative for each.

For e.g., zone abc.com exists in both Internal and External views.

In 'Internal DNS' view, NIOS appliance X is authorative for it.

In 'External DNS' view, NIOS appliance Y is authorative for it.

Questions: 

- Do I need to still set up 'match clients' for each view even though the zone is mapped to different appliances in each view?

- For some reason, all my grid appliances (even the ones serving external DNS) are mapped to the 'Internal DNS' view ( may be because it was the default view and we renamed it and added the second view later).How can I dissociate the external DNS appliances from the internal view and associate them to the external view? Is there a need to do so?

Regards,

Kirti 

Re: DNS Views

Authority
5171     0

Hi Team,

Any input on this?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Kirti 

5171     0

Hi Kirti,

I have the same scenario and created two different DNS-Views.

You need to sort the DNS-Views manually on the Grid-members that should host them.

You only need match clients if you host multiple DNS-Views on a single member.

The external dns servers shouldn't be able to do recrusive queries, otherwise your dns-servers might be used by any client out there in the internet.

Cheers,

Philipp

Authority
5171     0

Hi,

Thank you for responding.

Do you have any experience with the second issue I mentioned :

- For some reason, all my grid appliances (even the ones serving external DNS) are mapped to the 'Internal DNS' view ( may be because it was the default view and we renamed it and added the second view later).How can I dissociate the external DNS appliances from the internal view and associate them to the external view?

Regards,

Kirti 

Authority
5171     0

Regarding the match-clients/match-destination config, this is not required if each server/member is using only one view. But there are scenarios where it would come in handy.

Regarding appliances serving multiple views-

If you assign a zone in a particular view to a member- that view will be served by that member; that is what we'd expect. However, if no zones from a view are assigned to a member, the member can still serve that view if recursion is enabled. See if you can remove it from [ Data management -> DNS -> members -> edit member (member DNS properties) -> "Recursive views assigned to this member" (advanced mode should be enabled to see this tab) ]

Not only that, if match-clients/match-destination is not configured and a member is serving more than one view, all queries will fall in the first view (refer same page as aboe, section "Order of DNS views" or review config file)

[ Edited ]
Authority
5171     0

member dns propertiesmember dns properties

Here is a sample screenshot

Edit: I dont see the image, not sure if broken- hope it works for you

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended for You