Introducing SOC Insights for BloxOne Threat Defense: Boost your SOC efficiency with AI-driven insights to eliminate manual work and accelerate investigation and response times. Read the blog announcement here.

NIOS DNS DHCP IPAM

Grid member offline

13538     0

I have 2 infobloxs (8.4.1-382992) running as standalone, but were in a grid.  I needed to change the IP on VLAN1, which is the IP that we serve DNS.  So I did that on the one that served it, but once I did that I lost control of the "slave" grid member.  It appears in the Grid table, but is listed as offline.  I can access the secondary via console and it seems to be serving data but I can't get it to rejoin. (Once I saw problems, I switched the IP of the primary on VLAN1 back to the original).

Is there a process to rejoin via CLI?  Which IP is used to sync/manage the grid?  I assumed it was the management LAN, or is it the Member FDQN name?

Re: Grid member offline

13539     0

Oh, I don't think I had checked the box in Advance Network Settings for "Enable VPN on Management Port" for the secondary, so it was using VLAN1's ip.  There is no such box on the Grid Master's Network settings.  I see in my firewall rules to allow the 2 ports for the VPN.

Does the Grid Master "listen" on all interfaces for the VPN connection?

I thought I could issue the CLI "set network" and rejoin, but it says that can only be done on the GM.

What I want to do is rejoin the member using MGMT interface to avoid this issue.  I saw another post

where the reset the database on a secondary to move it, would it be similar?

Authority
13539     0

If you enabled the "Enable VPN on Management Port" setting for that member in the GUI (on the grid master), then the easiest way would indeed be to reset the database on the offline member (reset database).

After the reset, make sure the mgmt interface is enabled on the member with the correct ip:

https://support.infoblox.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6442/

And then rejoin the member to the grid using "set membership". Thank you.

Jelle
Escalations Engineer EMEA

13539     0

I member of Infoblox team did it for me, that is how to get the other grid member back online.

Unfortuately, I would have deployed this differently if I read that the VPN for the master must be on LAN 1 or that one the limitations of having the same network on different LAN ports, but now that I know this, I will deal with it.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended for You