Infoblox’s global team of threat hunters uncovers a DNS operation with the ability to bypass traditional security measures and control the Great Firewall of China. Read about “Muddling Meerkat” and the many other threat actors discovered by Infoblox Threat Intel here.

NIOS DNS DHCP IPAM

Microsoft Windows Fingerprints

1129     1

Hi everyone,

Wonder if anyone can help, I am trying to use a Fingerprint filter to block all Windows 7 machines from obtaining a DHCP lease. The windows 7 fingerprint preconfigured in Infoblox only seems to identify clients running IPv6.

Has anyone used this method to block Windows 7 clients? If so would it be possible to share the relevant fingerprints used?

I run a filter on my DHCP leases, I know there are some Windows 7 machines running yet there are none identified.

Also is this method recommend?

Cheers

Paulo

Re: Microsoft Windows Fingerprints

[ Edited ]
Techie
1129     1

Hi Paulo, 

You can find the DHCP Fingerprint for Windows 7 from Data Management - DHCP - Fingerpints - search 'Microsoft' (for IPv4 : Microsoft Windows 7 or Server 2008 R2 or Server SBS 2011 (Version 6.1) and IPv6: Microsoft Windows 7/Server 2008 ) . To create a filter with, Data Management - DHCP - IPv4 Filters - Add - IPv4 Figerprint Filter, choose the fingerprint desired. Once created, you can apply this to a range by going to, Data Management - DHCP - Networks - go inside the network in question, click on range - IPv4 filters - under Class Filter List - Add the Fingerprint filter you created for Windows 7 - Deny lease - save the settings - restart the services. 

For more information, you may please refer to the below documentations as well 

https://docs.infoblox.com/display/NAG8/About+DHCP+Fingerprint+Filters

https://docs.infoblox.com/display/N83EA2/Configuring+IPv4+DHCP+Filters

Note: It is highly recommended to first implement the changes in a lab environment, test with both Windows 7 / non-windows 7 machines to reqeust for lease before making it in production in order to avoid any undesired impacts. 

Regards,

Vineeth Krishnan

1129     1

Unfortunately, we're finding this combination of Windows 7 fingerprints also selects some Windows 10 clients; thoughts?

1129     1

This still appears broken and infact is worse after the recent Microwofy Security patch. Also the Windows7/Server2008 Fingerprint see,ms to have moved to IPv6 only. Is there one of the Microsoft Kernel fingerprints we could use to identify (and then block) Windows 7 clients?

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended for You