Infoblox’s global team of threat hunters uncovers a DNS operation with the ability to bypass traditional security measures and control the Great Firewall of China. Read about “Muddling Meerkat” and the many other threat actors discovered by Infoblox Threat Intel here.

NIOS DNS DHCP IPAM

Performance impact of DHCP Lease Scavenging

[ Edited ]
Techie
3273     0

Does anybody have experience with the innitial performance impact of enabling DHCP Lease Scavenging? 

Infoblox documentation states: "Note: If you plan to enable this feature after upgrading from a previous NIOS version, Infoblox recommends that you enable it during off-peak hours, as it may impact DHCP services."
Configuring DHCP IPv4 and IPv6 Common Properties (infoblox.com)

I have 2 IB-1425 and an IB-V2215 as Grid Master with around 320.000 DHCP leases in the database of which are 220.000 in Free/Backup state. 
After enabling DHCP Lease Scavenging a big portion of these Free/Backup will get deleted.

How long will it take to clear the leases in database?

Will I notice a performance impact during lease cleanup? IB-1425 CPU is about 80% idle during peak hours, IB-V2215 is about 90% idle during peak hours. 

Re: Performance impact of DHCP Lease Scavenging

3274     0

Hello,

There is no actual way to know however there is a widget that you can check on how long it took after it ran.

here is a good guide for information:

https://www.infoblox.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/infoblox-deployment-guide-enabling-and-configuri...

Hope this helps,

Kevin Zettel

Techie
3274     0

Hi kzettel,

the widget and the documents seems to be only about DNS Scavenging.

In the meantime I got feedback from our Infoblox Support Engineer that the performance impact of the initial scavenging is not that big. 

Nevertheless I will enable it during low load hours in the next 2 weeks or so.

I will monitor the performance impact after enabling and give feedback here. 

Techie
3274     0

CPU load incresed from 10% to about 30% for about 3 minutes. Just a bit more than just restarting the DHCP service. 

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended for You