Introducing SOC Insights for BloxOne Threat Defense: Boost your SOC efficiency with AI-driven insights to eliminate manual work and accelerate investigation and response times. Read the blog announcement here.

NIOS DNS DHCP IPAM

Restore DNS zone from backup

722     0

Hi everyone,

I should restore a DNS zone. first it was authoritative and now it has been canceled and recreated forward. During the deletion phase, the subzones were not deleted. How do you recommend I proceed? Is it preferable to delete everything relating to that area or import using ADD row? Also, how can I restore just one area from the backup? I tried restoring the backup on the test machine and then extracting the data with csv, cleaning them from all areas leaving only the affected one. and I would like to import that data. Does this seem correct to you or are there other ways? I would also like to import these records authoritative zones (primary and subzones) A records CNAME records PRT records Hostaddress and hostrecord records (I don't know if it's correct to import them) Thanks so much for your suggestions Matteo

Re: Restore DNS zone from backup

Techie
723     0

Hi Matteo,

If the zone was deleted, then it should be visible in the "Recycle Bin", so try restoring it from there.

[ Edited ]
723     0

Hi,

Unfortunately, several days have passed and several changes have also been made by other users and it is not possible to restore everything from the Recycle Bin.

My doubt is which fields should I restore in the DNS so as not to bother DHCP too?

I don't want to restore objects that would affect the DHCP records.
Matteo

Expert
723     0

I think this is going to be quite difficult, if you have access to the onedb.xml file that's part of the backup then you can extract the hosts/IPs you need and construct a CSV file that can be imported via the CSV import tool. But I don't there is any magic bullet that will help you achieve this, other than just some hard work.

Paul Roberts
PCN (UK) Ltd

All opinions expressed are my own and not representative of PCN Inc./PCN (UK) Ltd. E&OE

723     0

Thanks for your reply,

i will probably do a csv extraction using a test machine, but before re-importing the data I will clean everything and leave only the data relating to my area.

Matteo

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended for You