Error "The action is not allowed. A parent was not found." while adding an A record or host.

Anonymous
Not applicable
9447     0

Hello,

My setup is Infoblox 7.2.3 NIOS IB-VM-820 with wapi version v2.2.1 and DNS service managed by Microsoft.

We recently had a issue where Infoblox could not access a particular newly added subnet and a user has assigned the gateway IP to his newly build VM, of course that did not work but it has also cause some issues.

I now want to reserve the gateway IP in python to automatically create a set of A/PTR records but it fails when I try to add an A record or host record, PTR record works just fine.

def add_record(name, gw_ip)
  data = {'ipv4addr': gw_ip, 'name': name}

with requests.Session() as s:
    w = s.post(IB_URL + 'record:a',
               data=json.dumps(data),
               auth=(IB_USER, IB_KEY),
               verify=CERT)

The error that I get is "The action is not allowed. A parent was not found." when i try to add A record or host record. I've also tryied by specifying a view but still the same error.

What am I missing ?

Re: Error "The action is not allowed. A parent was not found." while adding an A record or

9448     0

The most likely cause is that the zone being used in your "name" variable does not exist. For example in my system I have one zone called "test.com":

curl -k1 -u admin:infoblox -H "Content-Type: appliction/json" -X POST https://10.60.27.4/wapi/v2.5/record:a -d '{"ipv4addr":"10.2.0.1","name":"test.test.com"}'
"record:a/ZG5zLmJpbmRfYSQuX2RlZmF1bHQuY29tLnRlc3QsdGVzdCwxMC4yLjAuMQ:test.test.com/default"

But I do not have a zone called "test.net":

curl -k1 -u admin:infoblox -H "Content-Tytion/json" -X POST https://10.60.27.4/wapi/v2.5/record:a -d '{"ipv4addr":"10.2.0.1","name":"test.test.net"}'

{ "Error": "AdmConDataError: None (IBDataConflictError: IB.Data.Conflict:The action is not allowed. A parent was not found.)",
  "code": "Client.Ibap.Data.Conflict",
  "text": "The action is not allowed. A parent was not found."

Re: Error "The action is not allowed. A parent was not found." while adding an A record or

Techie
9448     0

Is there a WAPI call to verify that the zone is valid beforing trying to add the A record so that a more descriptive error message can be returned to the user?

9448     0

Hey thanks man helped a lot 

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended for You