Accepted Solution

Infoblox integration with VRA , How to do IP address assignment .

[ Edited ]
harirajan
Techie
14204     0

Hello All , 

Really Appreciate if you can help me on this topic.

We are using Infoblox along with CNA  and now we are integrating the same with vRealize Automation 6.3. I am facing one challenge on this , can you please direct me to the right direction by suggesting a right solution .

Probelm / Requirement 

As per our data center standard DHCP is not allowed , But I need the IP address assignment from Infoblox grid itself as our use-cases more tied up with that , I mean No VRA network Profile.

We need the plugin to automatically assign the IP/ DNS address and delete the address as part of machine life cycle management.  How this can be achieved as we restricing DHCP inside the data center.

I came to know from the documentation that we need to enable DHCP for each subnet in Infoblox and do I need to enable IP helper on the network switch ?!! . If I do so DHCP will start servicing in our data center .

Suppose if you say like this  , "NO you don't want to enable DHCP IP helper on the Network switch , Infoblox plugin will get the IP address and pass to VRA during machine provosioning  and do a network reservation by binding IP to MAC , sounds good it may work but I am confused.Smiley Sad My question in mind is that , If a machine is powered off and it is powerig on after 10 days. How the machine will get same IP address since there is no dhcp service on the network since there is no static IP configuration inside the VM TCP / IP properties , or is there any change to trigger the api in this scenario to get the reserved IP address , 

I hope you understand my question and let me know if you need further information and looking forward to hear from you soon.

Re: Infoblox integration with VRA , How to do IP address assignment .

harirajan
Techie
14204     0

Please suggest a solution for this 

Expert
14204     0

Hello, harirajan!

Does make sense to you to run a more complex workflow using Orchestrator or a small script as a Software Component defined in the blueprint to set "manually" the IP on the interface after the virtual machine deployment? Something like a post-creation and runonce script might suit you...

Using Orchestrator, you could use Infoblox plug-in to get the next available IP from a selected subnet and work with bash or powershell scripts to statically define it on the vm adapters.

My understanding here is: you do not need to ask Infoblox to take again the same IP address every time a (turned off) virtual machine goes up . If you are able to get an available IP once and do a reservation (using a MAC Address or not) in Infoblox, you'll have no problems if this IP is statically set on the VM... no DHCP... So, when you turn off and turn your vm back on again, the IP address will still be there.

Hope this helps,

Paulo Costa

harirajan
Techie
14204     0

Hello Paulo Costa, 

Yes , as you mentioned I am planning something like this and will update you once I complete this

--> Enable DHCP only on the Infoblox and will not allow insid the datacenter

--> Extensible property search the subnet and fetch the IP address from particular subnet (plugin functionality_

--> I will make fetched IP address as static using a script inside the guest OS. (custom script after post provisioning)

--> Will do a reservation by binding IP to MAC in infoblox .

--> as IP address is static , it will be intact during the poweroff and power on .

Regads

Hari Rajan

Expert
14204     0

Hello again, Hari!

Unless you're using DHCP for other purposes inside your company, there's no need for DHCP services to be active to interact with Infoblox using the plug-in in this case. Making a reservation on IPAM does not require DHCP service to be.

You can combine items 2 and 4 in a single action. It is also important that you do the reservation before setting the IP on the interface or someone can take the IP before your provisioning tasks have time to fix it on the interface and do the registraton on Infoblox, leading you to duplicate IP addresses on the network.

Quick note: IPAM Reservations differ from Fixed Addresses and do not require the MAC Address to be configured. Once you're not using you're not using DHCP, the MAC Address in the reservation will be used only for registration and (maybe CMDB?) purposes. 

Quick note 2: Please note that vRealize Automation (in newer versions) can use Infoblox as an endpoint for IPAM. I have not tested this new functionality yet, but it must simplify this task. I suggest you to take a time to explore it and share your experiences.

Best regards!

Paulo

harirajan
Techie
14204     0

I got stucked in small issue , can you able to help me on that , 

I have offloaded IP assignment to Infoblox and DHCP range is created for each subnet . DHCP range is starting from 10.10.10.30 to 10.10.10.220 

But Inflox plugin is allocating IP address to VRA from 10.10.10.1 (whcih is my default gw) , 10.1 to 10.29 is not in the DHCP as it is a reserved range.

[ Edited ]
Expert
14204     0

Hello again, Hari.

Creating the DHCP reserved range from IP address .1 to .29 does not mean that the IP 10.10.10.1 is not "free" from the IPAM perspective. The plugin will use the "Next Available IP" to get an IP Address back to your virtual machine in a static way. I've not tested it, but I think that even if the IP address is contained inside a reserved range, the IP inside it can be provided to the VM as (from the IPAM perspective) no one is really using this IP Address.

DHCP ranges will not work in the way you want because... you're not supposed to be using DHCP. =)

What you can do is to create static reservations on the IP addresses you do not want to assign (for instance 10.10.10.1 to 10.10.10.29) and leave a "blank space" of IP addresses (from 30 to 220) on IPAM. The plugin will jump over these used IP addresses and will hit that "blank space", assigning the IPs inside the desired "range". 

Hope this helps!

Paulo

harirajan
Techie
14204     0

Hello Paulo , 

Thank you for valuable information and will get back you once I tried this . 

Regards

Hari Rajan

harirajan
Techie
14204     0

Hello Paulo , 

Sorry to ask you again ,   Thease questions are in my mind and it is pushing me to think a lot. can you please provide some insight into this .

1) How you do I specify the default gateway for each subnets  If I turn off DHCP inside the Infoblox.  I mean to say I have multiple subnets in a single reservation in VRA , each time VRA will take different subnet hence I cannot specify GW statically. 

2) I have also tired to create extensible property and assign the same to DHCP range tab  & called the property from build profile , but it is throwing some error like "network not found " . Is there anyway I can call a DHCP range ?

My logic is described below Smiley Happy 

1. If  {Subnet ext Name  "PortGroup" equal vsphere Port Group name. contine } //To fetch the correct subnet for the portgroup

then 

If {DHCP range ext Name "DHCP" equal YES " //get the IP address from this range)

}

Infoblox.IPAM.Network0.searchEa1ComparisonEQUALNoNo
EditDeleteInfoblox.IPAM.Network0.searchEa1NamePortGroupNoNo
EditDeleteInfoblox.IPAM.Network0.searchEa1Value{VirtualMachine.Network0.Name}NoNo
EditDeleteInfoblox.IPAM.Network0.searchEa2ComparisonEQUALNoNo
EditDeleteInfoblox.IPAM.Network0.searchEa2NameDHCPNoNo
EditDeleteInfoblox.IPAM.Network0.searchEa2ValueYES

Adviser
14204     0
You can specify a default gateway in the DHCP settings whether you use DHCP or not. In fact, you SHOULD do so since that data is used by the plugin to assign the default gateway to any systems that need that data during the IP assignment.

You need to create an object for any IPs that are in use as Paulo indicated. You should use either a Fixed Address or a Host or possibly just an A or PTR DNS record. That will ensure the IP is seen as “used” by the Grid database so it will not assign that IP. If you have discovery enabled (via Network Insight or vDiscovery or NetMRI), IPs found in use on the network will also not be assigned.

DHCP is absolutely NOT required (or even used) when using the plug-ins. DHCP is only used by the DHCP service for any clients that come up and request a DHCP address. With the plug-in, VMs are statically assigned an IP that the plug-in gets from the Grid. That IP will also be “released” when the VM is destroyed.

You can call a DHCP range via the plug-in (check the documentation) by specifying the range.

harirajan
Techie
14204     0
Thanks Smith and Paulo. You guys are really great
Highlighted

harirajan
Techie
14204     0

Smiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley LOL

Thanks Smith and Paulo. I have done the integration and everything work as expected . Thanks a Million.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You