Highlighted

AMI image for vNIOS CP-2200 not working (crashing on bootup)?

himanshu76
Not applicable
8213     0

Hello,

We are evaluating infoblox AMI image on AWS. All the security groups are configured properly (Tried with normal ubuntu machine and able to login). When we try with Infoblox VNIOS image, it seems to be crashing on bootup.

Instance type: M3.xlarge

AMI image: Infoblox NIOS 8.3.0 EA CP-V2200 BYOL (ami-01312261)

I am not able to ping nor ssh, which most likely means that its crashing on bootup. Can someone point me to a stable image that I can evaluate?

Re: AMI image for vNIOS CP-2200 not working (crashing on bootup)?

TTiscareno Community Manager
Community Manager
8214     0

NIOS appliances being deployed in AWS require two network interfaces, a step that is commonly missed. When the second NIC is not added, the system will fail to startup and you will see it report a fatal error during Infoblox startup if you look at a console screenshot. Instructions for this are included in the Infoblox deployment guide for AWS, available under https://www.infoblox.com/resources (https://www.infoblox.com/resources/deployment-guides/infoblox-trinzic-v-x25-series-appliances-for-aw...).

Another note: I see that you are using an older version of the software. Infoblox NIOS 8.3.0 EA CP-V2200 is "early access", or the beta version. This has since been replaced with version 8.3.0 371835. When searching for an image to use, be sure to search for "Infoblox NIOS 8.3.0 371835". This will yield only the versions that you will want to use.

Regards,

Tony

leifeste
Techie
8214     0

yeah, it's kind of odd.  you *must* create a second nic and allocate a second ip, even if you are planning to use only one.  it appears they use the second nic as lan1.  the first ip stays allocated from the aws ip pool forever to the instance, but it isn't actually used on the infoblox system at all that i can tell.  (if you go to the cli and show network or show interfaces, you'll not see the first allocated ip anywhere.) you just burn the first ip. 

so, that said, if you're trying to use a vanity ip for some reason, don't put it on the first nic - make the ip on the second nic the one you want end users to use.

the rest of this is some conjecture, because i haven't done it and don't recall the details in the doc...

maybe if you decide to bring up a mgmt interface, then it uses the first ip that was allocated to the instance?  but while the mgmt ip has to be on a different subnet in the same az as the lan1 ip, if you aren't going to use a mgmt ip then both of the ip's you pick during setup can be in the same subnet and it doesn't matter since the first is never used.

Community Manager
8214     0

This is correct- eth0 maps to the MGMT interface and eth1 ties to LAN1. While MGMT is not enabled in NIOS by default, both interfaces must be attached to the system so that if you do enable the MGMT port in NIOS, it can do so successfully.

Regards,

Tony

@leifeste wrote:

yeah, it's kind of odd.  you *must* create a second nic and allocate a second ip, even if you are planning to use only one.  it appears they use the second nic as lan1.  the first ip stays allocated from the aws ip pool forever to the instance, but it isn't actually used on the infoblox system at all that i can tell.  (if you go to the cli and show network or show interfaces, you'll not see the first allocated ip anywhere.) you just burn the first ip. 

so, that said, if you're trying to use a vanity ip for some reason, don't put it on the first nic - make the ip on the second nic the one you want end users to use.

the rest of this is some conjecture, because i haven't done it and don't recall the details in the doc...

maybe if you decide to bring up a mgmt interface, then it uses the first ip that was allocated to the instance?  but while the mgmt ip has to be on a different subnet in the same az as the lan1 ip, if you aren't going to use a mgmt ip then both of the ip's you pick during setup can be in the same subnet and it doesn't matter since the first is never used.

Authority
8214     0

HI 

I am trying to setup a VNIOS in ESXI for a lab.

I assigned 4 NICs to it and it still gives me the fatal error, however I already have a GM and GMC running with just 3 NICs each.

Community Manager
8214     0

@allwynmascar wrote:

HI 

I am trying to setup a VNIOS in ESXI for a lab.

I assigned 4 NICs to it and it still gives me the fatal error, however I already have a GM and GMC running with just 3 NICs each.

This post is probably best to go under its own thread but if you follow our installation guide for AWS, you will find the instructions specify to add one additional NIC for a total of two (not four). Eth0 will correspond to the MGMT interface in NIOS, and eth1 corresponds to the LAN1 interface.

Regards,

Tony

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You

FB Live: Why organizations are increasingly consuming security from the cloud