Cloud

Cloud Network Automation vs REST API

harirajan
Techie
2515     0

Hello All , 

We need to integrate Infoblox with vRealize automationas part of our private cloud setup , we dont have cloud network automation license in our proudction infoblox. I have go through the community and documentation and found that cloud network automation is the most preferred way of integrating with vRealize automation . Some of the key points they have mentioned there , do you have have some high level view of the advantages cloud network automation license and the plugin over direct REST API integration . Also does this cloud network automation license is costlier ?

Re: Cloud Network Automation vs REST API

Adviser
2516     0

The Cloud Network Automation (CNA) license provides you with enhanced visibility into what is allocated in the Cloud/VM environment. The license is only required on the Grid Master appliances. The license provides a special "Cloud" tab within the UI will give you a unique perspective on the IPAM associated data in regards to Tenants, VPCs, Networks, and VMs. For example, you can drill into a particular Tenant and see which networks and/or VMs are associated. Reporting can also be leveraged to determine how many VMs have been allocated/de-allocated. 

The real value of CNA is the visibility and organization of the data as it pertains to the automated data center environment!

The plugins provide a pre-built and easy to deploy mechanism within vRA to integrate the workflows with Infoblox IPAM. You can just use the REST API as well, but the plugins have been provided to facilitate implementation and to provide an example to build from if you like. Either way, the Cloud API calls can be leveraged so that data can be tracked via the Cloud tab in the Infoblox GUI. 

Simply using the REST API alone will provide you with the same functionality from an allocation and IPAM perspective but will lack the additoinal options and visibility within the IPAM interface.

I hope that helps at a high level!

Check out our new Tech docs website at http://docs.infobox.com for latest documentation on Infoblox products

[ Edited ]
harirajan
Techie
2516     0

Thanks SSalo for your reply , I have few more questions to understand ,

1. Does CNA license is mandatory to use the plugin with VRA , I am ok to compromise now as I don't need visibility & reporting from Infoblox UI and don't want to use extensible properties .

2.Does CNA will help to integrate with Azure / Amazon Cloud setup as part of Hybrid cloud setup?, which is directly consuming from VRA portal or provisioning directly from these public clouds by extending our organization Infoblox & network virtually to cloud providers.

Adviser
2516     0

Sorry I missed this!

No, CNA license is not mandatory. The latest versions of the plug-in support integration leveraging both the standard API calls and cloud specific API calls. 

CNA will provide better visiblity for you with regards to what is provisioned in the hybrid cloud environment and assist with further integration by leveraging features such as API proxy for AWS to leverage IPAM in the provisioning process. Not necessarily required as you can still run vDiscovery into these environments without the CNA license, but still highly recommended.

I hope that helps!

Check out our new Tech docs website at http://docs.infobox.com for latest documentation on Infoblox products
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You