2 IP Addresses are showing when resolving a nameserver

vw
Techie
3885     0

Good day,

I'm currently facing an issue in resolving a zone. I have set an Infoblox server with 1 IP address in LAN1 and setting up a NAT rule in the firewall for that particular server. However, whenever a client makes a DNS request, there are 2 IP addresses which serves the request (they belong to the same server, one is the original IP address and one is the NAT IP address). When I check the A record for my name server, there are 2 A records listed.

I tried to follow the instruction at this link, but it gave me an error that the fqdn of the nameserver already existed.

Is there any way to use only the NAT IP address in serving the traffic?

Thank you

Re: 2 IP Addresses are showing when resolving a nameserver

rdaens
Techie
3885     0

Hello,

The solution provided in the link you referred to, is the solution to publish only a public IP address and to have the the DNS server listen on that public IP address. From the error that you described it looks like you are trying to add a FQDN name rather then an IP address, if you go to the DNS views in the members DNS settings and you select the appropriate DNS view , you can change the IP address by selectin Other IP address and add your public IP address to it.

If this is still causing problems or errors please contact Infoblox Support who can help you solve this issue on the phone or through a remote session.

Thanks.

vw
Techie
3885     0

Hi rdaens,

I forgot to tell you that both the physical IP address and NAT address are Public IP addresses. I did not input an FQDN after selecting "Other IP Address". What I typed in was the NAT IP address and Infoblox rejected with the reason of existing FQDN record.

I guess I will ask support for this matter.

Thank you.

Highlighted

Authority
3885     0

Not sure what you are getting at but I think what is happening is that you are enabling DNS for both IP's in one view. 

I have a similar situation in which I NAT public to private and run split-brain DNS. I had to just add a host entry in one of the subnets and uncheck the enable in DNS so I could have the IPAM documentation for the IP but then in the actual public address space I enable in DNS for my external view.

Essentially, if you want them to resolve internally for one IP and externally for another IP, you will have to set up views and recursion lists.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You