Highlighted

AD connector

kirtiwadehra
Techie
999     0

Hi , 

We are in the process of moving DNS services off Microsoft Servers to Infoblox. I have a virtual 1425 appliance installed on Hyper-V in our test environment.I am looking into identifying the easiest way of migrating zones and zone data from MS server to Infoblox.So right now in the current MS environment ,if we want to set up a new DNS server, we simply join it to the domain , enable DNS on it and it pulls the DNS data automatically.

I was wondering if there is an AD connector in Infoblox that we can use to tell AD that this new device (infoblox) is a trusted DNS server and it can pull DNS data off automatically in some way ?

I checked the documentation and found the below procedure: 

• Create a forward-mapping zone.Give it a name that matches the AD DNS zone whose resource records you want to import.
• Specify the domain controllers from which the appliance can receive updates
• Import the zone date from the domain controller. 
• Enable the appliance to accept DDNS updates from the DHCP clients and servers whose addresses the DHCP
server assigns. You can set this at the Grid, member, and zone levels. 

But again the third step here that talks of importing zones from the DC is tedious as we have multiple zones and importing them individually is a task!! I also read about DIW but it seems the import doesn't work correctly with the wizard most of the time.

Please advise if there is a simpler way iof doing this or if I am missing something.

Regards,

Kirti

Re: AD connector

Adviser
1000     0

I'm using DIW for more then 12 years now and have done numerous migrations from MS to Infoblox. Where did you read about DIW but it seems the import doesn't work correctly with the wizard most of the time? Did you ever try it?

kirtiwadehra
Techie
1000     0

I  was checking a few posts here that said a few A records were not converted even though the import was successful.Also, heard it from my sales rep who mentioned it isn't a straightforward procedure.I am new to Infoblox so want to understand the best way of doing it with minimal manual effort.I haven't tried DIW , but will give it a shot now.

TTiscareno Community Manager
Community Manager
1000     0

I would second the Data Import Wizard. You have the choice of dumping a registry file from the Microsoft DNS server(s), or running DIW directly from the Microsoft DNS server and generating it automatically. This enables you to transfer everything, or select objects (multi-select and select all is supported). You can also set configurations for many items that you will be looking to import, including name server assignments. This is a fairly robust tool that works great for large migrations.

If you are looking to import only a zone or two, you can also run the import directly from your Infoblox GUI. This does require that zone transfers be allowed from your Microsoft DNS server(s) to your Grid Master.

Regards,

Tony

kirtiwadehra
Techie
1000     0

Thank you for your inputs.

After I have imported zones and zone data into Infoblox from microsoft using DIW ,in order to ensure that it gets updated regularly with new DNS entries added to the DCs, I plan on executing the below steps: 

-Specify the domain controllers from which the appliance can receive updates.This I believe can be achieved by using the 'configure active directory ' option but that option appears only when we select a zone.So do we need to manually select every zone and configure AD for each ? Or is there a way to achieve this at a global level for all zones?

-Enable the appliance to accept DDNS updates from the DHCP server (configured on the same infoblox appliance).

This also means I have to configure the DHCP server to be able to send DDNS updates.

Please advise if there is anything else that needs to be done to keep it dynamic.

Regards,

Kirti

davidroynl
Techie
1000     0

Any update or resolution to this you can post?

TTiscareno Community Manager
Community Manager
1000     0

This thread provided useful information about migrating from MS DNS to Infoblox. I see additional inquiries about maintaining a dynamic relationship between MS DNS and Infoblox has also been raised. Please be sure to start a separate thread for any additional topics so that we can make sure that your inquiries receive the attention that they deserve and make sure that they are not lost under a different discussion.

Thank you,

Tony

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You