Learn How We Can Help You Keep Teleworkers Protected During the COVID-19 Crisis

DNS DHCP IPAM

Highlighted

Automatic PTR entries using DDNS?

Techie
3662     0

Hello,

I'm new to Infoblox and have a question regarding the automatic creation of PTR records. As I understood DDNS allows to create a dynamic PTR record after DHCP provided a lease. I activated IPv4 DDNS on the DHCP Service and entered a domain name of an existing DNS zone. The DNS update policy is on Allow Any. Unfortunately, no PTR records have been created so far. Is there other configuration needed?

Thanks for your help.

carlo

Highlighted

Re: Automatic PTR entries using DDNS?

Adviser
3663     0

I assume you also created the reverse DNS zone and are authoritative for that? The Infoblox (authoritative) DHCP server is always allowed to update the DNS, no need to specify DDNS 'Allow Any'. If you do a 'show log syslog follow' on thet CLI you can see what happens during the DDNS update.

Highlighted

Adviser
3663     0

Hello Carlo,

Is the same Infoblox member acting as DHCP and DNS? Or are you using one appliance for DHCP and another for DNS?

DHCP logging should be enabled by default, but if it isn't please enable it and check the syslogs. You should see the entire chain of sequence for DDNS registration. That is usually the first place to start as it will throw an error if there are failures.

Highlighted

3663     0

Search the Syslog using the IP/Mac address and check after the DHCPACK for forward and reverse updates and see if it is added. By default, Infoblox adds the forward mapped zone and then only it goes for the reverse updates, Note that the DDNS updates happen on successful completion of DORA, updates will not happen on renewals unless explicitly configured.

If its failing please post the logs here, we could get an idea from them 

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You