Learn How We Can Help You Keep Teleworkers Protected During the COVID-19 Crisis

DNS DHCP IPAM

Highlighted

Can Infoblox read MAC addresses across an OTV link?

Techie
2234     0

Hello experts,

Sorry for the newbie question, but I am new to this forum and new to the intracies of Infoblox.  I have a client that wants to setup their data centers in the following manner:  primary data center (10.25.x.x) and secondary data center (10.60.x.x).  When the primary data center fails, all IPs reappear in the secondary data center.  This is an "all-or-nothing" type failover.

Can Infoblox at the primary (10.25.x.x) be configured as an HA pair with the secondary (10.60.x.x) and then when the primary fails, realize that all IPs published out of the secondary present a 10.25.x.x address?  OTV connects both data centers to extend the 10.25.x.x subnets across.  10.60.x.x only supports a handful of 'always on' devices.

or

Should Infoblox be configured as primary (10.25.x.x) with another Infoblox instance that simply knows about 10.60.x.x but is not configured as an HA pair?

or

Should Infoblox simply manage both sites as if it were one large, geographically dispersed network (10.25.x.x) and not know anything about 10.60.x.x

Again, sorry for the newbie questions.

-philk

Highlighted

Re: Can Infoblox read MAC addresses across an OTV link?

Adviser
2235     0

It's not really clear what you're asking for here but you've tagged your post with DNS so I'll assume you're talking about having the DNS service reply with answers that are associated with services in one data center over the other.

Standard DNS will answer any query with all possible answers for said query.  If you want to alter that behavior, you need to implement advanced features.  In this case, the most likely advanced feature would probably be DTC (DNS Traffic Control).  This will allow the DNS members to perform specific health checks and then determine which answer to provide clients.  You may also be able to leverage resource record set ordering to provide all answers but in a pre-defined way.

I'm not sure how any of this really goes with your original question about MAC Addresses and OTV links though.  I think there's a lot more that's missing from your question that would be extremely relevant to provide a good answer.  This might be better targeted at your Infoblox SE or perhaps with a more detailed conversation with Infoblox Professional Services.

Highlighted

Re: Can Infoblox read MAC addresses across an OTV link?

Techie
2235     0

Thanks for the response and your suggestion is definitely a reasonable one.  Much obliged.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You