03-16-2016 08:41 AM
we are importing our DHCP configuration (dhcpod.conf ISC BIND v4) using the Java importer. It works quite well and import everything with no error but it does not seem to like the netbios-* dhcp options along with some others pretty standard like ntp-servers.
No error is reported during the import process and the log is clear. We can see the options we want to import in the panel and we have tried to import them at Grid level and subnet level but it does not work either.
Also, we have a number of subnet with custom options that are newly defined by DIW and set correctly for easch subnet.
Any clue on what is going on?
03-17-2016 09:51 AM
If there was an error, it should have been logged, often the error is during the parsing, befire the import, so check the logs after the data loads.
Sometimes it can be something as odd/simple as UTF8 conversion issues. But it isn't always easy to debug.
A few things you can try are :
- for the mystery 'new' options, RIGHT CLICK on the subnet or range in the DIW, have a look at what options it thinks will be going onto that object, check they are correct
- for the missing NETBIOS options, create a new DHCPD conf with just one subnet configured with those options (cut/paste from the original) and see how that imports. the DIW doesn't need a complete conf file work, just chunks of one that are syntactically correct
In general, testing with a reduced file can often point at the problem.
If the options are already set on the grid level, the DIW may not be clobbering them (I can't recall the default behavior).
Either way, the DIW is meant to get you 95% there, and the rest you tune by hand due to the nature of converting apples to oranges. If it's just 2 global options that are missing, it is easier to just type them into the GUI than to spend hours trying to debug why it didn't get there.
There is a basic assumption that a DIW conversion is a one-off process and there is only so much automation that can be done.
03-18-2016 12:16 PM
thanks for your answer. Following your advises I was able to figure out which settings is causing the weird issue, it is the ddns-domainname in the global section. If it is set to a domain name with a trailing dots '.' then something goes awry and some options are not imported. There is no error in the log.
If I setddns-domainname like this:
it just works. Of course the setting with the trailing dot is correct.
Thanks for your tips, see if you can get it fixed with the next release of the tool.