Learn How We Can Help You Keep Teleworkers Protected During the COVID-19 Crisis

DNS DHCP IPAM

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Database size and object counting

Techie
6754     0

All,

We are currently using a Infoblox with 110k objects database capacity. Recent plans for a migration of a legacy system to our running Infoblox drives us to ask the question how the amount of objects in capacity are calculated with regards to IPAM?

In a hypothetical situation:

An infoblox has around 10k networks/networkcontainers with around 10 (extensible) attributes filled and about 20k hosts with around 10 (extensible) attributes filled.

Does this mean the Infoblox database will house 30k objects or 300k objects? So the underlying question is, does 1 filled attribute for 1 network or host constitute 1 object in the database (of which we can have 110k)?

Thanks in advance and I look forward to seeing your replies!

KR

Highlighted

Re: Database size and object counting

Adviser
6755     0

My understanding that that the number of database objects is a function of the number of networks (or network containers) and the number of hosts, but is not a function of the number of extensible attributes attached to those networks or hosts.

You can test this yourself by doing a capacity report on your grid master (Grid -> Grid Manager Members -> [select the grid master] -> Capacity Report in righthand toolbar). Do a capacity report and print it or save it for reference, then create one or more hosts or networks with EAs set, then do a second capacity report. In my testing the number of objects used increased by one or more for each network defined (see below), and by at least two for each host defined (one object for the host itself, and additional objects for each of the host's addresses).

There were no objects listed in the capacity reports specifically having to do with EAs. There is an "other" category in the capacity report, and in cases where I set EAs on a network this increased by 1, so it may be the setting EAs will affect this; however this appears to be independent of the actual number of EAs set on the network.

The number of objects created for a network is dependent on what you do with it, including whether a reverse-mapping zone is created for it and whether there are grid members assigned to the network for DHCP. In one test I created a network with EAs set, two grid members assigned to it, and a reverse-mapping zone created for it, and got a total of 6 additional objects added to the database (1 network object, 2 objects for the reverse-mapping zone and its SOA, and 3 objects in the "other category").

I recommend you try adding a few test networks and hosts to gauge the impact on your database, especially if you are planning to configure DHCP on the networks.  As always, if you want a more definitive opinion tailored to your particular situation I suggest you talk to your Infoblox account team. If you are going to have database issues they can assist with sizing a suitable appliance or appliances.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You

Businesses are investing heavily into securing company resources from cyber-attacks form cybercrimin