Dynamic DNS issue

Midos
Techie
1686     0

Hello,

Firstly, please excuse my bad english.

I have a trouble, i think that the DDNS is not working fine. Infoblox is my DHCP server and at the same time is a secondary zone DNS for the domain within i have a trouble. 

I wonder that the cause is related to the effect that infoblox is secondary zone (DNS). 

Could you please give me an ideas to how troubleshoot this issue ?

Thanks in advance. 

Highlighted

Re: Dynamic DNS issue

[ Edited ]
Adviser
1686     0

Check the DHCP Members logs in the WebUI - Administration / Logs / Syslog -> select Member.

Do you see any messages there?

Is your DHCP Member able to resolv the DNS Zone?

Logon to the CLI of the DHCP Member.

Run 'dig <zonename.com> SOA

Will you get an answer? Or does it fail?

If it fails, you need either enable the resolver on the Grid Level (Grid / Toolbar / Grid Properties / Resolver)

or you coud cofigure DDNS update information (Data Management / DHCP / Toolbar / Configure DDNS, Add a Zone+Server to "").

HTH

Midos
Techie
1687     0

Hello, 

Thank for your answer and sorry for my late answer. 

I don't see any message about the DDNS in logs. 

I got an answer when i run  'dig <zonename.com> SOA

The DDNS is configured for the zone. 

Did i need to enable the Option  81 in my DHCP range ? 

Regards, 

Re:Re: Dynamic DNS issue

Midos
Techie
1687     0

Hello, 

Thank for your answer and sorry for my late answer. 

I don't see any message about the DDNS in logs. 

I got an answer when i run  'dig <zonename.com> SOA

The DDNS is configured for the zone. 

Did i need to enable the Option  81 in my DHCP range ? 

Regards, 

Adviser
1687     0

Hello Midos,

Good day!

Assuming your current configuration to be :

1) An Infoblox DHCP server is serving one of your networks, say 10.192.12.0/24. Under Network/range level of this network, you’ve configured the DDNS updates to be forwarded to “zonename.com”.

2) The same Infoblox DHCP server is also one of the secondary authoritative DNS servers for “zonename.com” in the Grid.

3) The clients are able to get leases from this specific Infoblox DHCP server, but you are unable to see any DDNS updates being done for those leased IP addresses ?

Questions/ suggestions :

1) From your comments, I am assuming that you’ve entrusted the DHCP server to perform the DDNS updates on an acknowledgement.

2) Is the primary DNS server for “zonename.com”, a part of the same Infoblox grid ? If yes, can you please take a look at the DHCP configuration file(Data Management -> DHCP -> Select the member -> view) of this server & confirm whether there is a statement with the IP address of the primary server similar to this ? :

zone "zonename.com." {

primary <40.23.22.123>;

key DHCP_UPDATER_default;

}

If any of your grid members are primary for the zone in question, it is expected to see such a statement with the IP address of the respective primary –> One of the Grid features.

3) If the primary server for “zonename.com” is an external name server, then go to Data management -> DHCP -> From the toolbar, select “Configure DNS” -> Add “zonename.com” under “DNS Updates to External Zones” -> Save & Restart services. Take a look at the DHCP configuration file again as mentioned in step 2 & confirm that the configuration has the IP address of the external primary DNS server for “zonename.com”.

4) Now you would need to ensure that the DHCP client is sending its hostname through DHCP option #12 or Option 81(For which you may need to enable option 81 support. If not, not required.)

5) As you have confirmed that DDNS has been enabled, please go to the syslogs of the DHCP server & filter the messages with the hostname of the client (pushed through Option 12 or 81). I would expect to see some sort of activities by the DHCP daemon right after the lease acknowledgement.

6) If the DDNS updates are not successful after trying/ ensuring the steps mentioned above, can you post the kind of logs that you see so that we could guide you through ?

Best Regards,

Mohammed Alman.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You