Find A records with no PTR record.

Authority
4141     0

I am integrating a legacy MS DNS system with Infoblox DDI. I have discovered that many of the A records created in the old system do not have corresponding PTR records. Can someome think of an easy way to find the A records that need to have PTR records created? Is there an automatc way to retroactivly add the missing PTR?

Re: Find A records with no PTR record.

Expert
4142     0

Hi there,

you can try use the python script below to generate the missing PTR Records as soon as your DDI Appliance is able manage the MS DNS Server in read/write mode.

https://github.com/cwmp/infoblox_gen_A2PTR

Authority
4142     0

Since I am being spammed by Infoblox Social Media to "close the loop"...

I'm afraid that solution does not solve the issue. I don't want to automatially generate the PTR, I want to run a report to vette the addresses.

However, since to NIOS can not use SMB2 and above and SMB1 is a severe security vulnerability, read/write access bettween Infoblox and AD/DNS has been disabled. The project has been put on hold indefinetly.

Social Media can "close the loop" on this thread. 

TTiscareno Community Manager
Community Manager
4142     0

I just ran across this thread and wanted to provide you with another potential solution. If you are migrating data from Microsoft to Infoblox, there are multiple migration tools that Infoblox provides and many of these allow you to convert A (and PTR records) to the Infoblox 'Host' object, creating these for you on the fly. These Host records combine A, PTR, and CNAME records all within a single object in the database and function identically to the individual record types without requiring that those be setup separately. This would allow the system to automate this cleanup for you so that you do not have to undertake any extra efforts to identify these.

Regards,

Tony

P.S. Sorry if you have been getting far more communications than you would like. I'll make sure that the administrator in question is aware of your feedback and hopefully we can come up with a solution to make sure these are targeted in a better fashion.

TTiscareno Community Manager
Community Manager
4142     0

@WThompson_1 wrote:

However, since to NIOS can not use SMB2 and above and SMB1 is a severe security vulnerability, read/write access bettween Infoblox and AD/DNS has been disabled. The project has been put on hold indefinetly.

To specifically address this comment- the next version of NIOS, 8.2.0, will include support for Samba versions 2.x and 3.x. This new version is still undergoing QA qualifications but this is targeted to be released within the next couple of weeks.

Regards,

Tony

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You

This widget could not be displayed.

Demo: Infoblox IPAM plug-in integration with OpenStack Newton

" class="expert-of-month-image"/>