Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Grid as DNS secondary + IPAM?

[ Edited ]
fnielsen
Techie
5708     0

We've got a portion of our DNS records, in their own zones, that are hosted by external BIND instances.  For organizational reasons these records need to stay that way and those BIND servers are the only systems from which records should be maintained for said zones.

Ideally we would like to be able to see these DNS records in our Infoblox IPAM view however.  I figured this would be easy: add the zones to Infoblox, indicating the external BIND as primary, the Grid as secondary, done.  And that part was truly easy, once the zone transfers happened Infoblox saw all the preexisting records.  The whole thing took less than 5 minutes to configure and go live once I understood the concept.

However, the DNS records from these secondary Infoblox DNS zones are not being correlated to IP address objects in the IPAM (like all DNS records from our other zones, which happen to use MSFT sync).  Is this expected behavior, what did I miss?

Re: Grid as DNS secondary + IPAM?

Moderator syam
5709     0

Hi Fnielsen,

To the best of my knowledge, this is a feature request, please open a support case with Infoblox to pursue the status. 

Regards,

Syam.

fnielsen
Techie
5709     0

Thank you, opened case - you were correct, was already being tracked via RFE #632

EMerillat
Techie
5709     0

Have you heard anything back on this.  I also opened a case back in 2016 on this functionality.  Have been testing this week and see that the functionality still is not in the latest code releases.

Thanks,
Eric

TTiscareno Community Manager
Community Manager
5709     0

Secondary zone data is not stored in the database so it is not available for IPAM use. For anyone that is interested in gaining the functionality to view secondary zone data in IPAM, you will want to reach out to your Infoblox account (Sales) representative and make sure that your request is officially submitted.

Regards,

Tony

fnielsen
Techie
5709     0

I work for a resale partner and this requirement does come up from time to time, particularly for customers with other established bind solutions who are migrating towards Infoblox IPAM (which I would think would be close to just about every Infoblox potential customer).  We contacted our channel folks at the time and mentioned that existing feature request but I do not think we ever heard much beyond that.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Recommended for You

Businesses are investing heavily into securing company resources from cyber-attacks form cybercrimin