Is it possible to set multiple TTL values in a single zone database file

Techie
5421     0

Hi,

We are maintaining a large DNS environment which is having around 1 Lac records.

Earlier it was in BIND we used to split the TTL value of some bunch of records with in it.

Now we migrated to Infoblox that we set up a common TTL value of a zone file which is applicable to all newly adding records .. Is there any way to set multiple TTL values in a single zone database file ?

Regards

Veera

Re: Is it possible to set multiple TTL values in a single zone database file

Adviser
5422     0

TTL's can be customized at the Grid, Grid member, DNS View, zone and record levels and they inherit down in that order. Depending on how you are adding records, by default, they will inherit the TTL set at the zone level and you can always customize these later on within the Settings of the individual DNS records if required.

5422     0

The only limitation is that you cannot set multiple TTL for the same records type, for example, if you have a.test.com as 1.1.1.1 and 2.2.2.2, you cannot have 2 different TTL for them. It has to be the same.

Techie
5422     0

Thanks ... Agree with your points but while creating "A" record there is no option to set the TTL value. Its inheriting default TTL value from the global declaration. Meanwhile if any one from network (Not using my DNS servers ) accessed that particular record then the default TTL value has set to their DNS server cache. Later I modified to different value its taking too much time to replicate.I want to overcome this situation. Any suggestion please ?

5422     0

Hello,

TTL values on a DNS record basis can only be customized after creating the record. After creating a record, you can edit it and navigate to the TTL sidetab to override and customize its value. Ability to specify TTL during the record creation time itself is an active request for enhancement with Infoblox.

You may want to open a support ticket with Infoblox who can add your organization to the feature request and also direct you to your Infoblox account team who can help interface with Infoblox Product Management on your behalf and keep you up to date regarding the RFE consideration/progress.

Regarding 3rd party DNS servers who may have already cached the outdated TTL values, I cannot immediatly think of any solutions other than suggesting you to perhaps purge their DNS cache if you can and alternatively/additionally reduce the Default TTL value for the authoritative zone - IF that is a feasible change.

Best Regards,
Bibin Thomas

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommended for You